Twonky not avilable after upgrate to 4.3.3

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
dhighway
Starting out

Re: Twonky not available after upgrade to 4.3.3

Post by dhighway »

Hi folks ... as someone also running Twonky (and would prefer NOT to switch), I was happy to see that there is a solution using 8.2.1.0 - Thank you, @richberg! My needs are very simple so that should work for me as well.

Some help and clarity, PLEASE, on how I should proceed ...

My platform is TS-212-E which runs embedded Linux on a Marvel CPU (Linux ARM) ... and I'm currently running Twonky 8.2.1.0.

Do I need to download Twonky 8.2 again from here? If so, which of the six Linux ARM versions listed do I need?
http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.2/

Also, after upgrading to QTS 4.3.3, do I have to uninstall Twonky, then install again from the downloaded qpkg (as referenced above)? Or, should I be uninstalling Twonky before the QTS upgrade?

Or, will it just continue to work after going to QTS 4.3.3 because I'm currently running Twonky 8.2.1.0 (that doesn't require a license)?

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice, everyone!

DH
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Twonky not avilable after upgrate to 4.3.3

Post by dolbyman »

if you upgrade to 4.3.3 ..you need to buy a license...it should be the kirkwood x19 version

but should have been explained several times throughout this thread
dhighway
Starting out

Post by dhighway »

dolbyman wrote:if you upgrade to 4.3.3 ..you need to buy a license...it should be the kirkwood x19 version

but should have been explained several times throughout this thread
Assuming this latest response was directed at me, I don't understand it ...
a. @richberg clearly states he upgraded his NAS units (4 of them) to QTS 4.3.3 and they work fine with unlicensed 8.2.1.0, so why are you saying upgrading means I "need to buy a license"??
b. you said I need the "kirkwood x19" version, but there's only one Twonky 8.2 link that's named "Kirkwood" which isn't a qpkg file ... how do I install it?
On the Twonky 8.4 page I do see a link entitled "QNAP arm-x19 package" that is a qpkg file ... is that what you meant?

Thanks,
DH
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

a. if you want to try out an old version with the license key in it, be my guest, if the license was removed or it is not working you can still update and get a newer version
b. x19 units are running on kirkwood ARM processors, just download the x19 qpkg
dhighway
Starting out

Post by dhighway »

Your help is much appreciated, @dolbyman! However, I'm still struggling to connect your posted information to what I need to know.
dolbyman wrote:a. if you want to try out an old version with the license key in it, be my guest, if the license was removed or it is not working you can still update and get a newer version
Perhaps you misunderstood me ... I'm running 8.2.1.0 now and @richberg said that can still be done after upgrading to QTS 4.3.3, so I would like to do similarly. If I HAVE to purchase a license I will (which I realize will allow me to run the latest version), but I'd prefer not to do so unless absolutely necessary.
dolbyman wrote:b. x19 units are running on kirkwood ARM processors, just download the x19 qpkg
As stated in my original post, I have a TS-212-E. Is that an "x19 unit"? Also, there is NO x19 qpkg on the Twonky 8.2 download page; therefore, I'm still looking to find out which version of Twonky 8.2 I should download from that page ... link repeated here:

Thanks,
DH
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

dhighway wrote: Perhaps you misunderstood me ... I'm running 8.2.1.0 now and @richberg said that can still be done after upgrading to QTS 4.3.3, so I would like to do similarly. If I HAVE to purchase a license I will (which I realize will allow me to run the latest version), but I'd prefer not to do so unless absolutely necessary.
As I said, try it out I do not know if the old version on the twonky website has the license still in it .. I doubt it because shortly after QNAP removed the license, twonkyforum had no QNAP downloads anymore ... I assumed to remove and rebuild all versions with no free licenses inside

I just checked the download directory, apparently twonky removed older "free" qnap versions from their download site. So unless someone has it saved somewhere, no chance to get it
dhighway wrote: As stated in my original post, I have a TS-212-E. Is that an "x19 unit"? Also, there is NO x19 qpkg on the Twonky 8.2 download page; therefore, I'm still looking to find out which version of Twonky 8.2 I should download from that page ... link repeated here:

Thanks,
DH
Yes the TS-212 units are based on the marvel kirkwood processors (http://natisbad.org/NAS/refs/Marvell/88f6282-3_pb.pdf) the difference to x12 to x19p(II) was speed of CPU and USB3.0 ports .. the CPU architecture always stayed the same

So even though this unit is a x12, the package you need is x19
dhighway
Starting out

Post by dhighway »

Thanks, @dolbyman, your latest reply was a great help!!

Happy 150th Canada Day!!

DH
shelldrake
Starting out

Post by shelldrake »

I'm looking to upgrade from my TS-220 soon. What I want to do is install the new version of Twonky now on the TS-220. Which package would I need to use? I've tried some of the ARM-xxx ones from http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.3/ but none seem to work?

I know I'll need to pay for the new licence, thats not an issue.
TS-251+
charlest010
New here

Post by charlest010 »

I've installed Linux Station - Ubuntu - Twonky. After install I was able to access http://127.0.0.1:9000/webconfig and configure Twonky. I was attempting to use the 30 day trial, but after two days when I checked the status it indicated 0 video files found. Now after one week I'm unable to connect to the webconfig and only receive a message stating "127.0.0.1 refused to connect." Thanks in advance for any help.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

why did you install Twonky on Linux station?

just install it on the NAS as a QPKG - available here:

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.4.1/

twonky will however, default to the IP address that has the default Gateway configured with.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
shelldrake
Starting out

Post by shelldrake »

Toxic17 wrote:why did you install Twonky on Linux station?

just install it on the NAS as a QPKG - available here:

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.4.1/

twonky will however, default to the IP address that has the default Gateway configured with.
Would you by any chance happen to know which of the QPKG file would work for a TS-220? I've tried all the QNAP ones and none seem to work. Apart from knowing that the CPU is ARM, cant tell if its Kirkwood etc.

And would an existing version of Twonky need to be removed first?, or can an existing one be overwritten with the new version?
TS-251+
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

shelldrake wrote:Would you by any chance happen to know which of the QPKG file would work for a TS-220? I've tried all the QNAP ones and none seem to work. Apart from knowing that the CPU is ARM, cant tell if its Kirkwood etc.

And would an existing version of Twonky need to be removed first?, or can an existing one be overwritten with the new version?
afaik the 220 is a Kirkwood processor so the arm x19 should work.

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/8. ... m-x19.qpkg

if you have twonky already installed yes it is best to uninstall first.

you also need to Webserver to be enabled.

if none of the Twonky packages work as you state, then you will need to contact Twonky themselves help@twonky.com as they are the developers of the actual QPKG now.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
shelldrake
Starting out

Post by shelldrake »

Toxic17 wrote:
shelldrake wrote:Would you by any chance happen to know which of the QPKG file would work for a TS-220? I've tried all the QNAP ones and none seem to work. Apart from knowing that the CPU is ARM, cant tell if its Kirkwood etc.

afaik the 220 is a Kirkwood processor so the arm x19 should work.

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/8. ... m-x19.qpkg

if you have twonky already installed yes it is best to uninstall first.

you also need to Webserver to be enabled.

if none of the Twonky packages work as you state, then you will need to contact Twonky themselves help@twonky.com as they are the developers of the actual QPKG now.
Excellent, thanks for the quick reply :)
TS-251+
louiscar
Easy as a breeze

Post by louiscar »

Just loaded this onto the NAS and whilst it works there seems to be no management functions on it at all - it lists media but I can't search, make playlists. literally all I can do in this is right click an album or song and 'add to favourites'. That's it!

I thought Twonky was a complete package which would allow you to manage the music. Even Music Station is better than that. Am I missing something or is this not working properly? I'm running 8.4.1
Model : TS-453 Pro
Firmware : 5.0.0.1828
4x WD RED 3TB - Raid 5
MacUsers
New here

Post by MacUsers »

Guapo81 wrote: In the beginning I was not all that happy with PLEX, but been using it now for like 9 months and must honestly say (in my opinion now) it's a great media server and a lot more advanced than Twonky.
Just a line of caution: I went through the same pain when QNAP stopped Twonkey and decided to give Plex another try and it converted all my hi-res 24-bit audio files to MP3. The core Plex team is a bit of arrogant IMO from the beginning since they forked out of XBMC. Uninstalled Plex from everywhere. just my 0.2 cents......

Return to “Media Streaming”