[HELP] DLNA: Hide Private Subfolders/Only Allow Certain Folders

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
brunoxi
Starting out

[HELP] DLNA: Hide Private Subfolders/Only Allow Certain Folders

Post by brunoxi »

Hello. I am a little confused as to how to get my DLNA server set up properly. I find that there is either "too little " or "too much" that is being shared. I was originally browsing these topics: viewtopic.php?f=185&t=120038&p=535012&h ... rs#p535012 and viewtopic.php?f=185&t=114775&p=506079&h ... rs#p506079

My situation is thus:

Code: Select all

Multimedia/...  (Media Folder; Shows correctly)
homes/  (NOT Media Folder)
    user1/
        Private/  (NOT Media Folder)
        Pictures/  (Media Folder)
        Videos/  (Media Folder)
    user2/
        Private/  (NOT Media Folder)
        Pictures/  (Media Folder)
        Videos/  (Media Folder)
My issue is that since "homes" is NOT set to a media folder, but the subfolders for "Pictures" and "Videos" are under the two users, anything under these folders do not show up through DLNA (presumably because "homes" is NOT a media folder). However when I try to remedy this by making "homes" a Media Folder, then everything from "Private" for the two users ends up being accessible via DLNA, even though they are set to NOT be Media Folders. I guess my question is, what would be the best practice to have the "finely-tuned" permissions so that the "Private" folders for both users would not be considered for DLNA?

TL;DR - Is there any way to make certain subfolders accessible via DLNA without making the parent folder accessible? If not, what would the next best suggestion be?
brunoxi
Starting out

Re: [HELP] DLNA: Hide Private Subfolders/Only Allow Certain Folders

Post by brunoxi »

1-month bump/Wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm fresh out of ideas myself.

If this has already been asked/resolved please feel free to point me in the right direction as I did a bit of searching and could not find anything particular to what I've described. Thanks!
mhylas
New here

Post by mhylas »

Hello,
I know this thread is old but I was wondering if anyone found and answer for this.
Many thanks,
Mark
brunoxi
Starting out

Post by brunoxi »

mhylas wrote:Hello,
I know this thread is old but I was wondering if anyone found and answer for this.
Many thanks,
Mark
Looks like I got my response from QNAP support; separate folders are necessary :( :
Hi Brad,

Thank you for contacting QNAP support. Currently, there is not a way to implement exactly what you want. However, you can create your own separate folder and add it into the media library for DLNA to access.

Regards,
<<REDACTED>>
brunoxi
Starting out

Post by brunoxi »

I can't seem to figure out how to close the topic. Mod intervention please? :)

Return to “Media Streaming”