new nas for plex

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
mibbs
First post

new nas for plex

Post by mibbs »

it want to have an new Qnap server have been looking for this one her https://www.qnap.com/en/product/model.php?II=237 the TS 831X but cant find anything on google if it is any good for plex. i want all mkv files on the nas and then stream them via chromecast or direct to tv all after wich room its for. im open to other modells just wanted to her from other people what you think about this modell and what your yousing yourself before i purhase it thanks...
dolbyman
Guru

Re: new nas for plex

Post by dolbyman »

dont think that one is for you .. the arm processor will not be fast enough if you need transcoding

go with a newer celeron model or even a pentium or i series based nas
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Look at my signature which has a link to Plex transcoding capabilities of the various qnap models. I would look at the x53a/b series as a starting point, and work up from there depending on if you are talking 1080p vs. 4k. Multiple simultaneous real-time transcoding streams, dvr, etc.

The main issue in how much CPU horsepower you need is whether your plex clients are using DirectPlay (client doing all the work, server just streaming data) or Transcoding (Server doing all the work). More Transcoding = BIGGER CPU needed.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Plex beta has a hardware transcoding feature which i hadn't tested yet. but someone with a ts-653b did and they say their workloads are doing fine for plex transcoding tasks.

you could set it to directplay, but from what i've seen, sometimes especially with subtitles or something, plex will force you to transcode.

only kodi can you get directplay to work best (for me anyway)

trex or my faq link has sections suggesting a QNAP NAS which would be appropriate for plex transcoding.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
mstamate
Getting the hang of things

Post by mstamate »

Minimum i3 processor

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

mstamate wrote:Minimum i3 processor

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
agreed. if you don't want to price haggle, and you want to be very sure plex transcoding will simply work, then i3 minimum simple as that. amd equivalent to that would be a ryzen 5 1400 (i'd argue is better since you get more cores and threads which works better under more workloads) which is a good alternative. But if you need thunderbolt then stick with Intel.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Chuck_IV
Starting out

Post by Chuck_IV »

Trexx wrote:Look at my signature which has a link to Plex transcoding capabilities of the various qnap models. I would look at the x53a/b series as a starting point, and work up from there depending on if you are talking 1080p vs. 4k. Multiple simultaneous real-time transcoding streams, dvr, etc.

The main issue in how much CPU horsepower you need is whether your plex clients are using DirectPlay (client doing all the work, server just streaming data) or Transcoding (Server doing all the work). More Transcoding = BIGGER CPU needed.
I'm not sure about the 453A. I was looking at the Plex compatability chart and it essentially rates the 453A lower than the 451+/453B for transcoding 1080p(says the 453A would have trouble with medium to high bit rate while the 451+/453B only high).

I know Plex has hardware transcoding in the works, so this may make them all fine for Plex going forward.

I am about to pull the trigger on the 451+(453B is a bit out of my price range) myself so I have been trying to take this all in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Chuck_IV wrote:
Trexx wrote:Look at my signature which has a link to Plex transcoding capabilities of the various qnap models. I would look at the x53a/b series as a starting point, and work up from there depending on if you are talking 1080p vs. 4k. Multiple simultaneous real-time transcoding streams, dvr, etc.

I'm not sure about the 453A. I was looking at the Plex compatability chart and it essentially rates the 453A lower than the 451+/453B for transcoding 1080p(says the 453A would have trouble with medium to high bit rate while the 451+/453B only high).

I know Plex has hardware transcoding in the works, so this may make them all fine for Plex going forward.

I am about to pull the trigger on the 451+(453B is a bit out of my price range) myself so I have been trying to take this all in.

the 453b is like the ferrari model.

the 453a is cheaper than it but also a respectable model

the 451+ is below that.

be sure to watch this
[youtube=]Pm_ej966Iso[/youtube]

purpose of hardware transcoding
- not as good as x264 software transcoding, HOWEVER it allows cpus with less power able to do transcoding, otherwise your forced to get a better cpu model. this the benefit of hardware transcoding.

the 451+ has Celeron J1900 which has integrated graphics so thats quicksync available at least

however i'm not sure hardware acceleration for hevc or hevc 10bit is on that cpu for x51+ and x53a series so don't expect those types of content to perform as well using hardware transcoding is my guess. i did see some topics looking at this subject.

A serious examination of 1080p hi10p hardware requirements
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=165716&page=3

personally i dabble with a lot of HEVC 10bit video media. if i were to use MPC_HC lav megamix then playback from my desktop via smb, the media plays fine (my desktop has a I7 3770 cpu and nvidia 1080gtx Pascal). Tested with TS-653A, TS-659 Pro II, TS-509 pro, TS-128. Because the load falls onto my desktop playback capabilities, not my QNAP which merely acts as networked storage.

but if i were to run say plex directly from qnap, then i'd probably stick to the 653a model from my own collection. but even then i'd worry about 10bit hevc 1080p :shock: the newer cpus like i3 and amd ryzen won't have an issue though
The Kaby Lake-U/Y GPU - Media Capabilities
Written by Ganesh

While from a feature standpoint Kaby Lake is not a massive shift from Skylake, when it comes to GPU matters it none the less brings across some improvements that are directly visible to the end-user. As with the CPU cores, Intel’s 14nm+ process will allow for higher GPU frequencies and overall better GPU performance, but arguably the more impressive change with Kaby Lake is the updated media capabilities. To be clear, Kaby Lake is still an Intel Gen9 GPU – the core GPU architecture has not changed – but Intel has revised the video processing blocks to add further functionality and improve their performance for Kaby Lake.

The media capabilities of the Skylake GPU were analyzed in great detail in our 2015 IDF coverage. The updates to Kaby Lake-U/Y should be analyzed while keeping those features in mind. The major feature change in the Kaby Lake-U/Y media engine is the availability of full hardware acceleration for encode and decode of 4K HEVC Main10 profile videos. This is in contrast to Skylake, which can support HEVC Main10 decode up to 4Kp30, but does so using a “hybrid” process that spreads out the workload over the CPU, the GPU’s media processors, and the GPU’s shader cores. As a result, not only can Kaby Lake process more HEVC profiles in fixed function hardware than before, but it can do so at a fraction of the power and with much better throughput.

source
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10959/int ... i3-7350k/6

does amd ryzen support hardware acceleration? *with that much power probably don't need it, software encoding offers better quality on this beast anyway
As others have stated, Ryzen doesn't have an iGPU. However, Zen-architecture-based APUs should 100% support HEVC, since AMD's Carrizo APUs already do.
http://www.techspot.com/article/1131-he ... -playback/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5 ... y_support/
NAS

Network

Resources
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

mibbs wrote:it want to have an new Qnap server have been looking for this one her https://www.qnap.com/en/product/model.php?II=237 the TS 831X but cant find anything on google if it is any good for plex. i want all mkv files on the nas and then stream them via chromecast or direct to tv all after wich room its for. im open to other modells just wanted to her from other people what you think about this modell and what your yousing yourself before i purhase it thanks...
Are you really hung up on using Plex?? I went away from plex and never looked back. Infuse(https://firecore.com/) for AppleTV4 looks very good, is simple and plays directly off the NAS without the need for transcoding. The paid version is $6 per year or $13 one-time without updates after the current version. But the paid version has the actual paid licenses for DTS and AC3 so it'll play your MKV's no problem. It plays any movie I throw at it, except maybe some h.265 content because the current Apple TV doesn't have the right processor for h.265 yet. So it only has software decoding of h.265. However, the new version Apple TV 5 is rumored to be release later this year with the newest apple A10X Fusion chip used in the Ipad Pro. This chip has hardware h.265 decoding.

Kodi is another alternative, i'm not a fan of the UI but it plays anything your throw at it.
Chuck_IV
Starting out

Post by Chuck_IV »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:...
I have seen that video already, but thank you.

I think the reason Plex gave the ratings they did was that without the hardware transcoding, it is pure CPU power, which gives the 451+ a slight edge over the 453A. All my files are 1:1 either DVD or BluRay rips, dumped into an MKV container and will be direct played via either an NVidia Shield or Roku, so transcoding won't be a huge issue for me(I don't do any real viewing on my phone/ipad either). For the ones that may need transcoding, I think the hardware transcoding option should suffice well enough for me.

I am in the process of copying over my collection now(moving contents from 2 WD My Book Live networked drives and I have about 3TB more to copy so it will be another day or so... WD drives are slow). I will first see how the production Plex server does and then maybe try the alpha hardware transcoding version.

I've already upped the memory to 16gb on the 451+, nut I don't think Plex realy takes too much advantage of that though.
Last edited by Chuck_IV on Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Chuck_IV wrote:

I think the reason Plex gave the ratings they did was that without the hardware transcoding, it is pure CPU power, which gives the 451+ a slight edge over the 453A. All my files are 1:1 either DVD or BluRay rips, dumped into an MVK container and will be direct played via either an NVidia Shield or Roku, so transcoding won't be a huge issue for me(I don't do any real viewing on my phone/ipad either). For the ones that may need transcoding, I think the hardware transcoding option should suffice well enough for me.

I am in the process of copying over my collection now(moving contents from 2 WD My Book Live networked drives and I have about 3TB more to copy so it will be another day or so... WD drives are slow). I will first see how the production Plex server does and then maybe try the alpha hardware transcoding version.

I've already upped the memory to 16gb on the 451+, nut I don't think Plex realy takes too much advantage of that though.
Another option that would probably work better would be to use your Nvidia Shield for your PMS server and connect to your QNAP via SMB. When you did need to do transcoding, the Shield is officially supported out of the box for HW based transcoding and I believe can do about 3 1080p streams at once. Also has DVR support so if you have HDHomerun or Hauppauge USB tuners you can record that as well. So no "experimental" builds that are back on 1.6.x codebase (QNAP) to get HW transcoding, you get release builds on 1.7.x codebase (ShieldTV).

Nice thing is with Shield TV 5.2 firmware, you can now WRITE to SMB shares (ie. QNAP) where previously you could only read. Downside still is you can't install 3rd party channels (ie. Trakt.tv, etc.) due to restrictions to AndroidTV filesystem.
Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Trexx wrote:
Another option that would probably work better would be to use your Nvidia Shield for your PMS server and connect to your QNAP via SMB. When you did need to do transcoding, the Shield is officially supported out of the box for HW based transcoding and I believe can do about 3 1080p streams at once. Also has DVR support so if you have HDHomerun or Hauppauge USB tuners you can record that as well. So no "experimental" builds that are back on 1.6.x codebase (QNAP) to get HW transcoding, you get release builds on 1.7.x codebase (ShieldTV).

Nice thing is with Shield TV 5.2 firmware, you can now WRITE to SMB shares (ie. QNAP) where previously you could only read. Downside still is you can't install 3rd party channels (ie. Trakt.tv, etc.) due to restrictions to AndroidTV filesystem.
[youtube=]m2gXBFQoUZ8[/youtube]

the full review
It’s far and away better than it was when the gaming-centric streaming box first came out close to two years ago. A greatly improved universal search function on top of a larger selection of apps on top of Google Home and Assistant integration have finally empowered Nvidia’s hardware to really shine.

Said simply, if there’s ever been a time to take a serious look at Nvidia’s already-great streamer, this is the time to do it.
Currently the Nvidia Shield supports both Netflix and Amazon in 4K UHD and both look excellent playing through the streaming device. We got a chance to watch House of Cards and Mad Dogs, both in 4K and, surprisingly, using Wi-Fi instead of an ethernet cable.
NVIDIA announced the 2017 Shield home entertainment system. This device connects to your TV, and works as a game-streaming device that streams games rendered on your PC from another room, the cloud, through services such as GeForce Now, and "smarten" your TV through technologies such as Google Assistant. NVIDIA has given the 2017 Shield hardware upgrades that enable 4K HDR, that's 4K Ultra HD resolution with 10-bit HEVC/VP9 support, and HDR.
On the audio side of things, Shield supports pass-through of 5.1 and 7.1 audio and delivers an excellent surround sound experience. It also supports Dolby Digital (AC3), Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3), DTS-HD, DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-X and DTS Core Audio Streams in pass-through mode.

But here’s the larger problem. What you’re getting for $199 / £189 / AU$260 is a competent micro games console, better than any other Android TV gaming console hybrid out there. And yet, it really doesn’t hold a candle to the Xbox One and PS4, two proper game consoles that play the latest games – without needing to stream them – and cost just a bit more. Those systems have nearly all the functionality listed so far, and are therefore probably the better buy unless you really, really want a 4K streaming player and a games console rolled into one. If you just want 4K streaming system and don’t need a games console you’re probably better served looking at the Chromecast Ultra or much cheaper Roku Premiere+.

One more point: because the only thing that Nvidia has changed about the 2017 Shield is its size and controller, you can get so much of what this console offers at a hefty discount if you’re willing to just find a retailer still selling the 2015 model.
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gaming ... 106/review

MX Player - The best way to enjoy your movies.
a) HARDWARE ACCELERATION - Hardware acceleration can be applied to more videos with the help of new HW+ decoder.
b) MULTI-CORE DECODING - MX Player is the first Android video player which supports multi-core decoding. Test result proved that dual-core device’s performance is up to 70% better than single-core devices.
c) PINCH TO ZOOM, ZOOM AND PAN - Easily zoom in and out by pinching and swiping across the screen. Zoom and Pan is also available by option.
d) SUBTITLE GESTURES - Scroll forward/backward to move to next/previous text, Up/down to move text up and down, Zoom in/out to change text size.
e) KIDS LOCK - Keep your kids entertained without having to worry that they can make calls or touch other apps. (plugin required)
Subtitle formats:
- DVD, DVB, SSA/** Subtitle tracks.
- SubStation Alpha(.ssa/.**) with full styling.
- SAMI(.smi) with ruby tag support.
- SubRip(.srt)
- MicroDVD(.sub)
- VobSub(.sub/.idx)
- SubViewer2.0(.sub)
- MPL2(.mpl)
- PowerDivX(.psb)
- TMPlayer(.txt)
- Teletext
- PJS(.pjs)
- WebVTT(.vtt)
https://shield.nvidia.com/apps/mx-player

well looks good to me, sufficient enough to watch my animes with SSA subs, and 10bit hevcs :mrgreen:
NAS

Network

Resources
Chuck_IV
Starting out

Post by Chuck_IV »

Trexx wrote:
Chuck_IV wrote:

I think the reason Plex gave the ratings they did was that without the hardware transcoding, it is pure CPU power, which gives the 451+ a slight edge over the 453A. All my files are 1:1 either DVD or BluRay rips, dumped into an MVK container and will be direct played via either an NVidia Shield or Roku, so transcoding won't be a huge issue for me(I don't do any real viewing on my phone/ipad either). For the ones that may need transcoding, I think the hardware transcoding option should suffice well enough for me.

I have used the the Shield as a server and it is great for in the home direct streaming. By far, the best Plex client out there, as the streaming works well and it also streams HD audio, even Atmos and DTS:X. BUT, it can be a bit wierd at times and it always tells me it is not powerful enough to do the transcoding on something like my phone(my daughter sometimes likes to use it).
Trexx
Ask me anything

new nas for plex

Post by Trexx »

Sounds like ether a configuration issue or your UPLOAD bandwidth isn’t high enough.

Paul

Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Chuck_IV wrote:
I have used the the Shield as a server and it is great for in the home direct streaming. By far, the best Plex client out there, as the streaming works well and it also streams HD audio, even Atmos and DTS:X. BUT, it can be a bit wierd at times and it always tells me it is not powerful enough to do the transcoding on something like my phone(my daughter sometimes likes to use it).
just wondering but what media type were you trying when that happened? 10bit? hevc? h264 (which profile, 5.1, 4.1 ? )

is that problem also for 1 stream, or were there multiple streams at the same time?

what networking setup? wireless? what router are you using.
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Media Streaming”