adding Music folder on Qnap to library in Sonos

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
vanwesst
New here

adding Music folder on Qnap to library in Sonos

Post by vanwesst »

My QNAP TS-253B should mainly serve as a multimedia library. In particular, I would like to play my music on my sonos installation. My QNAP appears in Sonos, but I can't play the songs, which appear, but in grey and the sonos controller says it cannot play them. When I want to add the nas to my library (using the special button for this in the menu) my nas does not appear as part of my network. A discussion in the sonos community did not provide conclusive solutions. Anyone has the same problem and has a solution? Thx
dolbyman
Guru

Re: adding Music folder on Qnap to library in Sonos

Post by dolbyman »

if you update to the latest firmware (and your device has a S/N from 2016) you can use twonky server, that one has a dedicated sonos mode
vanwesst
New here

Post by vanwesst »

Thanks. I am afraid that I'm a bit of a newbie. Can you send me a thread on twonky servers and where I can find it on QTS
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

It should be in the release notes of the latest firmware
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Song format issue? Permissions issue?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
graemev
Know my way around

Post by graemev »

Are you doing it via an SMB share (//nasname-or-ip/Multimedia/Music) or DLNA (Twonky) if the latter, you need to enable "Sonos support" via web interface . If it's the former, make sure you have allowed sufficient permissions (try using admin user with the Sonos app...as a test)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Sonos can access CIFS/SMB (Windows networking), which is the de-facto standard networking protocol with Windows, Mac, Linux and probaly some other operating systems. DLNA adds complexity and is in my opinion at best a workaround if anyone for some odd reason is unable to use CIFS/SMB.

My recommendation is to create a specific Sonos account on the Qnap and give it permissions (Read Only is enough) only to the sound files. Then add
\\NAS-IP-address-or-host-name\Shared_folder_name to the music library
. All this of course only works if the sound files are supported by Sonos.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Media Streaming”