What direction for HTPC functionality from NAS

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
framos

What direction for HTPC functionality from NAS

Post by framos »

10 days ago, after reading some reviews on this site, I purchased a TS-251 (QTS 4.3.3). My goal was to install my own personal cloud and move some HTPC functionality to the TS251. I got the Personal cloud going in 2 days, with very little issues and using this forum has a guide. After a week I am still stuck on the HTPC functionality. I had a PC (windows 10) plugged into a Pioneer AV receiver and then on to a TV. From the PC I had some movie files loaded. After purchasing movies I was able to download the movies in an M4V and WMV format to PC, and then played them with itunes and window media respectively. after reading articles in the forum it seemed I needed to focus on a player not actually video streaming. Articles lead me to installing HybirdDesk Station which contains Plex, Video Station, and HD player. I then plugged ts251 thru HDMI to TV. As I understand it this should work. I can bring up HD Station. However when I try to execute either Plex, video station, and HD player it says no videos and I can not point it to my folder on the ts251 containing my aforementioned M4V and WMV files.

I am new to the HTPC arena. But I did have success with playing M4V and WMV files from my PC. If someone could point me to an APP I need to research I would appreciate it. It seems most of the users on the forum are into video streaming, however I just want to keep a folder of movies on my NAS and play from there.

THanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: What direction for HTPC functionality from NAS

Post by dolbyman »

look into kodi

search the forum

Return to “Media Streaming”