Plex - manual update using NAS itself

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
GrahamGo
Starting out

Plex - manual update using NAS itself

Post by GrahamGo »

Is it possible to update Plex by downloading the PlexMediaServer_???????????????_x86_64.qpkg directly to the Qnap NAS and then installing the update manually by pointing to the Plex update file ?

I ask because I travel a lot. Right now my upload speed is terrible (100Kbps) and updating Plex is next to impossible. But I know that I can get the .qpkg file onto the NAS, but how do I get it to do a local install?

The NAS is sitting on a fast internet connection 1200 Mbps down, 250 Mbps up.

Thanks!
OneCD
Guru

Re: Plex - manual update using NAS itself

Post by OneCD »

QPKG files are just shell scripts with a binary payload.

When downloaded, they won't have the execute bit set, so the quickest way to install one is:

Code: Select all

sh ./YourFile.qpkg

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Use App Center to install.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

You could pass the file URL to Download station via mobile app such as Qget. Then setup a VPN connection to the NAS to SSH and do a CLI install as was mentioned earlier.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
GrahamGo
Starting out

Post by GrahamGo »

Thank you for the various posts. I already have an OpenVPN connection to my router. Via that I can access the NAS on 192.168.x.x

As suggested I have used QGet to get the latest Plex QKPG onto the NAS.

Now to figure out how find the path to the QKPG file location and to use the command.

sh ./YourFile.qpkg (not sure what CLI means)

Thanks all for the pointers
GrahamGo
Starting out

Post by GrahamGo »

Just a quick thank you. This went fine and took under a minute to do. For anyone interested here was my approach.
1. Accessed NAS via my Router using OpenVPN (my NAS appears as local device on IP 192.168.1.88)
2. Using my laptop accessed https://www.plex.tv/downloads/ and located the correct QNAP Plex QKPG file and copied its URL
3. On NAS opened Download station chose the 'Input URL' option and paste in the QKPK URL. The download started taking 7 seconds and the resulting download was deposited in the folder Download
4. Allowed the NAS SSH service
5. On the laptop used PuTTy to SSH the NAS. Not knowing any better. I used cd / (root) cd share/Download then ls command to see the QKPK file
6. Finally sh PlexMediaServer_1.9.6.4401-53fa66811_x86_64.qpkg (the latest Plex package installed itself)
7. Disabled the NAS SSH service

Job was done in just over a minute. I amazed myself :)

Thanks again everyone for the hints.

Return to “Media Streaming”