QNAP HS-453DX & 4K HDR playback possible?

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP HS-453DX & 4K HDR playback possible?

Post by dolbyman »

the way to go is an external player .. forget about QNAPs HDMI port .. even more so for HDR
Jdunbar8
Starting out

Post by Jdunbar8 »

Oh wow really? Especially since the HS-453DX is actually dedicated for multimedia playback.
Is the HDMI 2.0 (4K @60Hz) too little for proper 4K/HDR playback?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

it's a nas ..not a video player ..qnap just threw the hdmi in there because they could lure some customers that way (and it was cheap to add as igpu was already in most intel consumer chips)
Jdunbar8
Starting out

Post by Jdunbar8 »

Oh I see. But along with the lastest KODI 19 it should be quite capable in playback?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

apparently (only based on posts here) new HDStation version make KODI playback stutter...so people are using older versions

And you can't open a ticket with QNAP because they have publicly said they do not support KODI (licensing issues) .. you see where that goes?

All mitigated with an external player.
Jdunbar8
Starting out

Post by Jdunbar8 »

Oh I see - this is very sad to hear and causing major problems for users who relied on KODI and QNAP - especially for the advertised multimedia NAS products
geminatores

Post by geminatores »

Did someone manage to solve the issue with lack of HDR recognition by TV when playing from KODI on QNAP. I have an LG OLED TV and the TV doesn't discover automatically that the material is HDR. Is there an option to HDR passthrough or something? I play videos from QNAP 453D 2.0 HDMI 4k capable device. I've tried different version of KODI from QNAP Club store: 18.5 and 19
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

use the tvs own player dlna or plex..should work

forget about the hdmi port of the nas
Jdunbar8
Starting out

Post by Jdunbar8 »

geminatores wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:27 am Did someone manage to solve the issue with lack of HDR recognition by TV when playing from KODI on QNAP. I have an LG OLED TV and the TV doesn't discover automatically that the material is HDR. Is there an option to HDR passthrough or something? I play videos from QNAP 453D 2.0 HDMI 4k capable device. I've tried different version of KODI from QNAP Club store: 18.5 and 19
Quite some time has passed by - how are you doing with HDR / Dolby Vision etc playback ?
Chz
Starting out

Post by Chz »

Jdunbar8 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:57 am
geminatores wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:27 am Did someone manage to solve the issue with lack of HDR recognition by TV when playing from KODI on QNAP. I have an LG OLED TV and the TV doesn't discover automatically that the material is HDR. Is there an option to HDR passthrough or something? I play videos from QNAP 453D 2.0 HDMI 4k capable device. I've tried different version of KODI from QNAP Club store: 18.5 and 19
Quite some time has passed by - how are you doing with HDR / Dolby Vision etc playback ?
I've never managed to solve it on a TS-251D. It outputs 4k no problem, but the TV simply doesn't pick up HDR at all.
I use a Chromecast TV to run Kodi now, instead of the NAS. It works just fine.

Return to “Media Streaming”