NAS Or Shield or Both?

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
habanerocat
Starting out

Re: NAS Or Shield or Both?

Post by habanerocat »

Thank you all for your very knowledgeable and helpful answers.

I think it will be Shield, NAS with 1x6TB, second 1x6T and then Plex sub, in that order as finances allow.
litlmikeyb
First post

Post by litlmikeyb »

I have a TVS-471 and it just chokes on playing any locally stored, high bitrate 4K content using KODI.

Is the solution buying Shield TV Pro, connecting that via USB3 to the QNAP and using it as the actual media player? This would in essence render the QNAP TVS-471 to be a basic storage device and nothing more - but I can't seem to get high bitrate 4k content play any other way...
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

litlmikeyb wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 am I have a TVS-471 and it just chokes on playing any locally stored, high bitrate 4K content using KODI.

Is the solution buying Shield TV Pro, connecting that via USB3 to the QNAP and using it as the actual media player? This would in essence render the QNAP TVS-471 to be a basic storage device and nothing more - but I can't seem to get high bitrate 4k content play any other way...
There’s something wrong with your network or kodi device. Are you using gigabit ethernet? With kodi, the NAS is just a file storage device, decoding is done on kodi. Your NAS has a beefy pentium processor, so serving up files should saturate gigabit ethernet. So it’s either your KODi client device or your network.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

also not sure how you plan to connect the shield via usb to the nas

why not via network?

Return to “Media Streaming”