[STREAMING] Streaming from my NAS

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Komo1006
Starting out

[STREAMING] Streaming from my NAS

Post by Komo1006 »

Hi,

I am not sure if this the right forum to ask this question but any help would be appreciated.

Is streaming remotely from my QNAP NAS safe from my ISP or is it the same as streaming from websites or torrenting? Giving that I don’t have a VPN activated.

Do they recognize what I am playing or watching or hearing? And how do they do so?

I tried to install a VPN on my nas but after a few failed leak tests I can’t guarantee it’s reliability!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: [STREAMING] Streaming from my NAS

Post by dolbyman »

straming with what?

video station? (great way to get hacked to expose that)

unclear what leak test you were doing (vpn server on the nas, is not the same as a commercial privacy vpn service)

so please offer more info on what you are doing and trying to achieve
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Komo1006 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:48 am Is streaming remotely from my QNAP NAS safe from my ISP or is it the same as streaming from websites or torrenting? Giving that I don’t have a VPN activated.
these are 3 different usage scenarios for VPN. The later 2 require additional setting adjustments in web browser and torrent client respectively to ensure privacy and prevent leaks. These later 2 also require a subscription based VPN, whereas the former does not.

as far as i know, for remote streaming, plex is ideal for that.

i would recommend vpn for secure remote access to your QNAP over the internet. As to how to set that up, search the forums (i leave it to others to explain the proper setup for this in fuller detail).

your qnap side will have the vpn server (this is not subscription based, you setup your OWN vpn server using openvpn ideally). your client side is from device trying to access the qnap.

the vpn would either be setup on your router (ideally) or on the qnap (qvpn is the native app). Then your client device would run something like openvpn client to connect, or qvpn desktop app (if you're using qvpn).

yeah... your isp etc can't see what you do in vpn traffic.... >->:

but that is only in regards to vpn access to your qnap or network over the net.

if you are surfing the internet using a browser, then you probably want something like PIA or nord vpn (this would be setup on your router preferentialy or on the pc client ) for accessing the internet. and even then.... you need to configure your browser privacy settings.... just simply using vpn is not enough.

if you must have the best anonymity, there is tor. performance is slow, but privacy is good.

then in regards to torrent privacy, download when your internet is using a vpn like pia/nord vpn. and disable ipv6 (to prevent ip leaks). If you are using torrent without a vpn, a socks proxy is the barest minimum, because that at least hides your real ip when downloading torrents (but it does nothing for privacy from your isp).

because you are using the subscription VPN, you are limited by the bandwidth you can get from their service, so run tests on the VPN server to test what is the max download speed you can get before subscribing. Otherwise you will be disappointed why you can get max or close to max of your isp subscribed internet speed. that said i find the speed on PIA for torrent quite acceptable for me.

there are tools to verify whether your ip is leaking or not
https://ipleak.net
https://browserleaks.com/ip

advantages of using VPN
-Enhanced security. When you connect to the network through a VPN, the data is kept secured and encrypted. In this way, the information is away from the hackers’ eyes.

-Remote control. In case of a company, the great advantage of having a VPN is that the information can be accessed remotely even from home or from any other place. That’s why a VPN can increase productivity within a company.
https://www.ibvpn.com/2010/02/8-advanta ... using-vpn/

subscription based VPN is different from running your own vpn server. The difference is, the subscription VPN you are mostly using their internet to hide your original ip location. These vpn subscription services tend to have many servers in different countries as their business is specialized in offering this kind of service.

The openvpn server you run on your own hardware e.g. your router or your qnap. You then connect to those devices usign a client openvpn. The benefit of this is simply to connect securely to your device.

Regardless of whether you use the former or later example, both vpn traffic is encrypted and nobody can see what you do over vpn. does this answer your question?

Not all vpn subscription services are equal. only subscribe to a service that is trusted (no case of disclosing subscribers info), keeps no logs, has good performance, a reasonable subscription price, easy to use. There is a comparison chart here you may find useful
https://thatoneprivacysite.net/

If you are interested in privacy matters, i like to watch videos here to learn more
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjr2bP ... W8Q/videos

you can always use the youtube or google to read from more sources on this topic, it's wide ranging x_x; and a bit much to get into. i just gave the basics for you to start from somewhere.

Komo1006 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:48 am I tried to install a VPN on my nas but after a few failed leak tests I can’t guarantee it’s reliability!
if the intent is just remote access to qnap using VPN, then for this usage, the only intent is to encrypt your internet traffic for this connection. It does not obfuscate your REAL IP.

Obfuscation of REAL IP on the internet is only for VPN subscription services, in ADDITION to encrypting your traffic so your isp does not know what you are doing.

i did get PIA to run on the QNAP (to hide it's real ip address, which is useful when you want to use the download station but not give away your real ip), but i'm not sure if you can also simultaneously run a VPN server at the same time. I never tried this :'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Komo1006
Starting out

Post by Komo1006 »

dolbyman wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:07 am straming with what?

video station? (great way to get hacked to expose that)

unclear what leak test you were doing (vpn server on the nas, is not the same as a commercial privacy vpn service)

so please offer more info on what you are doing and trying to achieve
Thanks for answering, yes I meant remote streaming via video or music station.

I will apreaciate very much an answer to this question, If I have a video named A on my NAS and I remotely streamed it through video station on my tablet, how does the ISP knows and classifies the content of this video as legal or not (I know they can see the traffic but its not like somebody is sitting there to watch everything I am streaming)?!

what i meant by leak test is that I have a NordVPN subiscription, so I configured the VPN client on the NAS and tried a leak test (https://www.dnsleaktest.com/) through the browser station directly on the nas, several times the leak test runs in the extended mode and shows the VPN ip in the first 5 or 6 rounds but then shows my real ip in the last round. Other times the VPN disconnects the VPN client reverts back to the default gateway and I don't know untill i log in to the nas and see the notification. So that is why i consider it unreliable.

I am not a networks or computer freak so execuse me if i do not fully get how it works.

and when they say for example that Plex offered an SSL, does this mean that media is secured from ISP and others?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

very unlikely your isp does stream fingerprinting (don't even know how that could effectively work without looking at large portions of the actual file)

most that throttle, just id p2p services based on protocol encapsulation ..not on content

again nordvpn would not help your streaming when watching content from outside of your lan ...wrong vpn (type)

Return to “Media Streaming”