Understanding "streaming" on QNAp

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
pbjorkkvist
Starting out

Understanding "streaming" on QNAp

Post by pbjorkkvist »

Hi all
I have a QNAP TS453-Pro and a Samsung smart TV with Plex installed.
TV is only connected via WiFi, no CAT-cable and no HDMI cable. When watching a 4K video via Plex on TV it buffers, but when "right"-click on the file
in file station on QNAP it do not. Anyone knows what the difference can be?

And is there a difference in using the HDMI cable vs WiFi? (I have an excellent connection on WiFi and have the same issue as above when using cable)
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Understanding "streaming" on QNAp

Post by dolbyman »

when you "right click" the file on filestation ..are you connected via a hardwired computer?..then you have your answer..wifi is not fast enough

what is your tv model ?

hdmi (local playback) and wifi/cable (network) are very different ...should be obvous while typing the quesltion
pbjorkkvist
Starting out

Post by pbjorkkvist »

I am connected thru wifi (My laptop), and I always play it on the same TV, so the only difference is 1. I let Plex on the TV act as media player or 2. I right click and let the QNAP "stream" the same video to the same TV. So I guess Plex is doing something QNAP is not. The TV is a Samsung UE55KS9005.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the ks8000 and ks9000 series have only 100MbIt/s ethernet ports ..so for high bitrate 4k videos, it could be borderline

one is usling Plex the other probably DLNA (from filestation)

is plex set to transcode? if you dont have a plexpass the 453 is probably too slow to transcode in software

Return to “Media Streaming”