Remote Access Kodi

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Skunk79
New here

Remote Access Kodi

Post by Skunk79 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:37 am

I want to be able to remote connect to my NAS with Kodi however I can only seem to do it with FTP. Obviously because of the security concerns I don't want to do this! I've tried using a VPN but it doesn't work! You can still access the FTP with or without the remote side client running.

I've tried SFTP but the server won't connect no matter what I do and I can't figure out how to access via Webdav.

I do have a PLEX server however it doesn't always work so I require this as a backup. (Nothing worse than PLEX crashing out when your not at home with no way to restart it!)

Any help would be appreciated!

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Remote Access Kodi

Post by dolbyman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:02 am

don't think ftp would be a good media access platform (the file would probably need to be fully downloaded, local cached before playback)

VPN should work fine unless you have some CGNAT situation at home you can't traverse
Last edited by dolbyman on Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skunk79
New here

Post by Skunk79 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:30 am

I use Kodi and update my libraries as appropriate on my media consumption devices so I'm not worried about the media caching. I just don't want to use an insecure file-sharing medium.

Looping123
New here

Post by Looping123 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:58 am

I'm currently using a VPN to do the same and it's perfectly working. IF you need help let me know ;)

Return to “Media Streaming”