iTunes Server for streaming to Sonos Play:1

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
P1Fanatic
New here

iTunes Server for streaming to Sonos Play:1

Post by P1Fanatic » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:43 am

I currently have my old music library stored on my QNAP NAS and my recently purchased music from iTunes stored on my iPhone / iPad locally (and on iCloud). I play both via my Sonos speakers (Play 1’s) using the iPhone/iPad Sonos controller app. Sonos are removing support from their controller app to play music from this iPhone / iPad. So I am looking for a one stop solution to have everything on my QNAP NAS and play from there.

I see that QNAP have an iTunes Server app but from what I read you also need the iTunes Client installed elsewhere e.g. on a PC and you then set that Client to Synch with the NAS Server.

I am wondering if there is a way to avoid using iTunes client on a PC. Ultimately what I am looking for is a way to run iTunes server on the NAS for existing music but if I (or the wife) buy & download new music from iTunes app to our iphone / ipad – then it automatically copies it to the NAS so Sonos can see it there and play it.

Hopefully I explained that ok.

Thanks
Simon

dolbyman
Guru

Re: iTunes Server for streaming to Sonos Play:1

Post by dolbyman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:22 am

I think the firefly server that qnap provides is only doing audio ..and is quite outdated...you could run a vm with a full itunes server inside... but you didnt disclose you nas model

P1Fanatic
New here

Re: iTunes Server for streaming to Sonos Play:1

Post by P1Fanatic » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Hi dolbyman - thanks for the reply. Its a TS-453 Pro.

Return to “Media Streaming”