[HELP] Multimedia console updates delete thumbnails, faces and index

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
gatus
Starting out

[HELP] Multimedia console updates delete thumbnails, faces and index

Post by gatus »

After the last Multimedia Console updates, my TS-251a had to generate ALL thumbnails again. It can take days and a lot of resources. Also, it deleted ALL tagged faces (which take forever to identify them, since it's all manual) and now it's recognizing faces and objects (another few days working). Has this happened to you, too? If after every update you lose all your face tags, QuMagie is completely useless. There is no point in spending countless hours organizing people if after updating the core app you lose it all. Also, with no back up option. This and the resources used to recognize them and to generate the thumbnails make the multimedia console a really bad companion (for now).

Furthermore, (I don't know if this issue is the same multimedia console fault or the issue is somewhere else) lately the NAS has being indexing ALL its content after every reboot (also, after multimedia console update). Indexing all NAS content takes at least one day. And if the content is not indexed, not all functions can be used (not how I use).

Any ideas how this might be happening? Am I the only one?
spikemixture
Been there, done that

Re: [HELP] Multimedia console updates delete thumbnails, faces and index

Post by spikemixture »

Qnap TS-1277 1700 (48gb RAM) 8x10TB WD White,- Raid5, 2x M.2 Crucial 1TB (Raid 1 VM),
2x SSD 860 EVO 500gb (Raid1 QTS), 2x SSD 860 EVO 250GB (Cache), 2x M.2 PCIe 970 500gb NVME (Raid1 Plex and Emby server)
GTX 1050 TI
Qnap TVS-1282 i7 (32GB RAM) 6x8TB WD White - JBOD, 2x M.2 Crucial 500gb (Raid1 VM),
2x SSD EVO 500gb (Raid1 QTS), 2x SSD EVO 250gb (Raid1 Cache), 2x M.2 PCIe Intel 512GB NVME (Raid1-Servers)
Synology -1817+ - DOA
Drobo 5n - 5x4TB Seagate, - Drobo Raid = 15TB
ProBox 8 Bay USB3 - 49TB mixed drives - JBOD
All software is updated asap.
I give my opinion from my experience i.e. I have (or had) that piece of equipment/software and used it! :roll:
perkins
Starting out

Post by perkins »

I got a support ticket open from this. For few weeks now. QNAP support confirmed that there is a bug which causes this kind of behavior. I got a Multimedia Consol 1.0.11 from the for testing, but it didn´t solve the issue.
gatus
Starting out

Post by gatus »

perkins wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:14 am I got a support ticket open from this. For few weeks now. QNAP support confirmed that there is a bug which causes this kind of behavior. I got a Multimedia Consol 1.0.11 from the for testing, but it didn´t solve the issue.
Did "the issue" happen when you updated from 1.0.9 (the actual version) to 1.0.11?

Did they say anything else? I believe it's serious enough for them to look for an actual solution, since Multimedia Console has became a core app and QuMagie is a big selling point for QNAP (it's actually the ONLY reason I got my father on board to buy a QNAP, too. And he can't use as he intended to).
perkins
Starting out

Post by perkins »

Yes, the original issue was that 1.0.9 automatic transcodind didn´t work. If I uploaded .mov file into a folder (which was setup for automatic transcoding) nothing happenede until I pressed "Scan now" button. Then the transcoding went trought normally. But instead of automatic, it was a manual.

This was fixed by giving me the 1.0.11 version. In this version the automatic transcoding worked. But after every reboot the index and thumbnails were lost and reindexing and regenerating thumbnails was necessary.

I got a system notification on every reboot that Multimedia Console is installed and ready to be used. I don´t think it´s normal to reinstall application after a normal reboot.

Just today, QNAP support said that now my system is remotelly fixed. My NAS is generating thumbnails at the moment. Once they have been gererated, I´ll try the boot and see what happens to index and thumbnails.

I already tried to reboot and see if I get the same notice. I do, but support said that it´s totally normal to have this kind of notification. I don´t agree with them about that.

I can´t say that I´m happy with the latest support service level of QNAP. Or if this is the level, then the code quality should be better.
perkins
Starting out

Post by perkins »

After the index and thumbnails were done, I tried the reboot.

After the reboot systems gives notification that Multimedia Console is installed and ready to be used. But the index and thumbnails haven´t been removed. Remote support said that their developers made a individual fix to my NAS and Multimedis Console 1.0.12 will have the final fix.
Dic3man
Getting the hang of things

Post by Dic3man »

This has happened to me once not sure what caused it by I remember reinstalling a bunch of apps including core apps.
But since then I have rebooted my NAS multiple times and still have my faces recognized.
After the first time this happened I tried to find whatever index this information is stored in so I could do a manual backup but didnt find anything (didnt look to hard though I will admit).
I am on 1.0.11 version of multimedia console.
gatus
Starting out

Post by gatus »

perkins wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:22 pm After the index and thumbnails were done, I tried the reboot.

After the reboot systems gives notification that Multimedia Console is installed and ready to be used. But the index and thumbnails haven´t been removed. Remote support said that their developers made a individual fix to my NAS and Multimedis Console 1.0.12 will have the final fix.
Glad to hear it's being fixed! How about the faces?

Now, the fix will have to work with updating the apps (multimedia console, qumagie...). Hope it will.
gatus
Starting out

Post by gatus »

Dic3man wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:40 pm This has happened to me once not sure what caused it by I remember reinstalling a bunch of apps including core apps.
But since then I have rebooted my NAS multiple times and still have my faces recognized.
After the first time this happened I tried to find whatever index this information is stored in so I could do a manual backup but didnt find anything (didnt look to hard though I will admit).
I am on 1.0.11 version of multimedia console.
Version 1.0.11 has not been released for my NAS, yet. With version 1.0.9, I had no problem with faces being removed after every reboot, only after updating the app. It's the index and the thumbnails that are removed after every reboot.

About backing up faces, it's not possible. I've asked qnap support for that feature and they say that it's not in the foreseeable future, but they've left a note. So, I ask you to contact support and ask them to ask the dev team to include this feature to future versions of QuMagie (or to whatever app they need to add it to). The more people complain about this, the more likely they'll be to include it. I think it's a basic feature. Tagging faces can take hours and hours of boring work, and as we've already seen, it's super easy to lose it all ><. Furthermore, the main reason for a NAS is usually to act as a back up storage for local computers. They have to understand that backing up things is fundamental!
Zsozsi90
New here

Post by Zsozsi90 »

Same problem here running on TS-251a as well
I lost appr. 20 albums with picture selections from over 20k pictures of 15 years. I am simply speechless. I find no words to describe my loss. Few hundred/thousand hours of cumbersome sorting, tagging, labelling faces just gone in a matter of second..... :oops:
Inspired by @gatus I put together a solid claim "template" that everybody else being effected can issue in to drive more attention together

Code: Select all

I am writing to you in relation to a very unpleasant impact by a recent QuMagie/Multimedia Console/QuMagie Core release upgrade. From one day to another, I simply lost my albums, people tags, custom labels, ratings (yet unsure), descriptions (yet unsure)
Besides of the nas being occupied for like 2 days to regenerate lost indexes, thumbnails, face suggestions, the feature upgrade made me lose all my endless hours and days effort put into setting up a proper album collection from my pictures, tagging faces, merging people, etc. 
I still can't grasp the situation and am so fed up that I can't really think of where I should restart and how - shall I leave qnap? At the moment, I am wondering the purpose of qnap for any use if such failures can happen. 
Now, I am asking you dear qnap support, what measures are you planning to forego such situations in future? What type of compensation do you think of offering me not to leave the whole qnap branch?
Please also find some references here to read: 
https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=152414
https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=152566
kjfrm
First post

Post by kjfrm »

I'm no expert, but am I to understand this loss of face recognition work is a "feature" of Qumagie? I currently have a notification that QuMagie core update is available for me to install. Will all the work I've done in the last week to id tens of thousands of photos will be lost???!!!
Dic3man
Getting the hang of things

Post by Dic3man »

kjfrm wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:45 am I'm no expert, but am I to understand this loss of face recognition work is a "feature" of Qumagie? I currently have a notification that QuMagie core update is available for me to install. Will all the work I've done in the last week to id tens of thousands of photos will be lost???!!!
Cant say for sure but I just updated and all my faces are still ok atleast.
valiant
New here

Post by valiant »

Another victim here of this horrible coding and lack of even the most basic backup feature -I've lost already twice due to updates my full list of "tagged" people, albums etc -days/weeks of my life completely lost.

I've also opened a case with them, but I'm unsure it will bring somewhere...even the fact that they release a software so terribly coded (wiping all internal db/data after an update and not able to back it up) means that either they have really poor software architects/developers, or (more probably) their business/marketing pushes them to release features quickly and without proper design/Quality Assurance, with the result of frustrated customers with the most horrendous experience (make your customers lose days of their lives is simply terrible).

I, too, am speechless. This is supposed to be a multinational corporation with thousands of customers around the world... it is completely unacceptable, they'll lose many customers for sure.
gatus
Starting out

Post by gatus »

kjfrm wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:45 am I'm no expert, but am I to understand this loss of face recognition work is a "feature" of Qumagie? I currently have a notification that QuMagie core update is available for me to install. Will all the work I've done in the last week to id tens of thousands of photos will be lost???!!!
The last update of the qumagie core app didn't delete anything. So far, so good. But it's a gamble I won't be willing to play anymore if I were you. I've lost all faces before and now I only have 5-10 people tagged and I've stopped the facial and object recognition at 10-15%. If I were you I'd bombard support and ask (more like demand) a back up solution for all the faces first and for them to fix tag issue second. I won't waste any more time tagging faces until there is no back up solution. They might fix the issue now, but who knows if in, lets say, one year, a new update breaks the tags, too. All lost again?

We all should send support requests for a tag (faces) back up feature. Take @Zsozsi90 message as an example.
Last edited by gatus on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gatus
Starting out

Post by gatus »

valiant wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:15 pm Another victim here of this horrible coding and lack of even the most basic backup feature -I've lost already twice due to updates my full list of "tagged" people, albums etc -days/weeks of my life completely lost.

I've also opened a case with them, but I'm unsure it will bring somewhere...even the fact that they release a software so terribly coded (wiping all internal db/data after an update and not able to back it up) means that either they have really poor software architects/developers, or (more probably) their business/marketing pushes them to release features quickly and without proper design/Quality Assurance, with the result of frustrated customers with the most horrendous experience (make your customers lose days of their lives is simply terrible).

I, too, am speechless. This is supposed to be a multinational corporation with thousands of customers around the world... it is completely unacceptable, they'll lose many customers for sure.
I'm sorry. I've been there ><

The more tickets we open, the more priority they'll put to the issue. Having a back up solution is essential.

Return to “Media Streaming”