Use Kodi without using HDMI output?

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Crusher
Starting out

Use Kodi without using HDMI output?

Post by Crusher »

I have a TS-451+ which is running Kody Leia 18.9.0.0 and it is centrally located in my home office with no access to the TV's HDMI port in my living room.

When I open Kody, the only way I can access it is by a Remote Desktop Connection to the HybridDesk Station. The access is very laggy for the mouse and I would prefer Kody to open on the NAS main home page and not on the extended Remote Desktop. Plex seems to be able to do this.

Is there a way of installing Kody so it doesn't use the HybridDesk Station and opens on the home page and not the Remote Desktop page of the Hybrid Desk Station?

I'm fairly new to this NAS thing, so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Crusher
Last edited by OneCD on Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated topic subject
TS-653D-8G with 6x Seagate Exos X16 10TB drives in RAID6
TS-653D-8G with 6x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10TB drives in RAID6 for backup
Now redundant TS-451+ 16GB Kingston RAM and TR-004
Cyberpower Value 2200vA 1320-Watt UPS connected to Master TS-653D via USB2.0 and powering both TS-653D units
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Use Kody without using HDMI output

Post by dolbyman »

you are doing this wrong

install kodi on your computer..not on the nas

the nas holds your files

also dont label a thread [howto] if it's a question and not a tutorial
OneCD
Guru

Re: Use Kodi without using HDMI output?

Post by OneCD »

* (another) title fix :roll: *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Crusher
Starting out

Re: Use Kody without using HDMI output

Post by Crusher »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:17 pm you are doing this wrong

install kodi on your computer..not on the nas

the nas holds your files

also dont label a thread [howto] if it's a question and not a tutorial
Ah, ok, I see now. I thought that Kodi was needed to arrange the Netflix like view of the library, movie bio and trailers etc.

Sorry about the titles - they were better than that originally - it was late and I was reading a sticky about naming and then inadvertently deleted my original headings in the editing of the titles on both of these threads.

Thanks for your help.
Cyberpower Value 2200vA 1320-Watt UPS connected to Master TS-653D via USB2.0 and powering both TS-653D units
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Kodi is a player, it can scrape your media and add posters desciptions etc in the UI, but it will run on your clients, not the NAS.

If you want a central manager (scraping,user control,transcoding,etc) look into Plex. But even here, the players will be on your clients
Crusher
Starting out

Post by Crusher »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:41 am Kodi is a player, it can scrape your media and add posters desciptions etc in the UI, but it will run on your clients, not the NAS.

If you want a central manager (scraping,user control,transcoding,etc) look into Plex. But even here, the players will be on your clients
Perfect response, cheers. I'll pick up an Nvidia Shield today and hook it up to the NAS and go from there.
Crusher
Starting out

Post by Crusher »

So, just to follow up on this. I got an NVidia Shield and connected it to my TV. It works great and I have now uninstalled Kodi from my NAS. I am currently streaming some 1080p videos, which are in 2.35:1 format via WiFi to the Shield. The only files I have had any issues with are 1080p 16:9 that I have encoded at a too higher bit rate for the NAS to handle, so I'll re encode them at a lower bit rate or try a different encoder.

Thanks again for all of your help.
jon96789
Know my way around

Post by jon96789 »

After several different types of NAS devices, I discovered that the NAS CPU has to be powerful enough to stream videos. I used to have a WD NAS with an ATOM CPU and it could not stream videos that were at higher bit rates. The videos would buffer all the time. I upgraded to a QNAP TS-453 Pro which has an Intel J1900 Celeron processor. 99.9% of my buffering issues went away. There were still a few videos that that very high bit rates that the NAS could not handle. Also if multiple streams (3+) were running, the buffering would also happen with files that would normally not be an issue. I am upgrading to a TS-673A with its AMD Ryzen four-core-eight thread CPU, which is supposed to be 3x faster than the Celeron. We'll see what happens.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

For streaming any CPU that can fulfill the bandwidth requirement is fine

I have a 10 year old 419p+ and it's fast enough to stream several 4k HDR ATMOS files over my network (as this is just file access, nothing else needed here)

Return to “Media Streaming”