QNAP + PLEX + Pi TV HAT - SOLVED

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
LordLinhey
New here

QNAP + PLEX + Pi TV HAT - SOLVED

Post by LordLinhey »

Just in case anybody else is researching how to use your QNAP with Plex Server and a simple tuner that doesn't cost the earth it can be done.

It does seem a bit silly that there is a very limited choice, if you want to add a TV tuner and run Plex as your multimedia server just two official devices if you are in the UK, so I set about trying to find a way to sort the issue and it turned out to be very simple.
I decided to have a go with a Raspberry Pi /TV hat. You could use the PiZero, but I had a Pi4 2GB lurking in the corner so I bought a TV HAT for it to try.

After installing raspian and TVHeadend on my Pi and made sure it was all streaming well I suddenly realized that TVheadend provides the M3U streams for each of the channels and I thought there has to be a way to do this and sure enough there is.

Open the App Centre click settings and General and tick the box to allow installation of apps without a valid signature.
Go to Repository and add QNAP Club, you can Google this to find the URL
Once you have this in place you can add the apps easily and you need to install xTeVe
Assuming you have TVHeadend streaming your TV you can simply add the IP address to XteVe to look for the m3u data and set the EPG details up as per your system.
Once that is done you can set up the Live Player and PVR manually to look for the Ip address and port, which will be the ip address of your QNAP and the XteVe Port

DONE all working like a charm

Return to “Media Streaming”