Kodi / Twonky problem / QNAP 112 on Ver 4.3.3

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
marktee
Starting out

Kodi / Twonky problem / QNAP 112 on Ver 4.3.3

Post by marktee »

After an "interesting" time, upgrading my little QNAP 112 drive, I (foolishly) allowed it to update to the latest firmware.
I re-loaded the settings I had backed up, copied the files back and everything *seemed* to work fine.

A friend/lodger staying in the house has always had access to the multimedia folder via "Twonky Media" which I installed via the QNAP App page a few years ago. It seemed odd that it needed to be done to me (I am not very techy), but it worked and all was well.

After the upgrade was completed, he said he could not access the Twonky Server - suffice to say it seems the problem was me trusting QNAP too much and allowing an upgrade to the latest version - which stops it from working.

I have seen comments that I can download an old version from Lynx - and even have the URL https://download.twonky.com/8.5.2/ the problem is, I do not have the first clue as to which version I should download, nor what I should do with it when I have downloaded it (My PC is Windows 7), QNAP unit is several years old and is a QNAP-112 device.

Is there a simple (as in suitable for people that do not understand Linux) to enable my friend to get access to the Multimedia folder again via his Kodi box please?

I have seen some posts about "Media Streaming App" but no idea if this will work - nor what "PORT" value I should give it - do I pick one at Random or should it be a specific number?

Feedback would be really welcome please, I have removed (wrongly perhaps), the remains of the Twonky Media installation which no longer worked and I am just trying to find a simple way to enable a Kodi Box to access the QNAP 112.

I hope I have explained the hardware and issues well enough - but I am very happy to answer questions if I have missed something important out.

Many Thanks

Mark
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Kodi / Twonky problem / QNAP 112 on Ver 4.3.3

Post by dolbyman »

on your old NAS twonky media can be installed via the dlna tab ..just chose twonky instead of qnaps dlna

any other version of twonkey is only available if you pay for it

I just recently did a reinstall of a 212p and it worked just fine
Last edited by dolbyman on Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
marktee
Starting out

Re: Kodi / Twonky problem / QNAP 112 on Ver 4.3.3

Post by marktee »

Awesome, thank you! I will give it a go!

Return to “Media Streaming”