TS-453Be No 4K - HELP

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
ozphoto
Starting out

TS-453Be No 4K - HELP

Post by ozphoto »

Ok I see on the Qnap website that it will play 4K video. I have a Canon camera that does 4K in 24fps 30fps and 60fps so I took a 4K video in 24fps and did a transcode in the background and it will not play keeps stuttering and stalls. I have used Cayin and also used Handbrake. I have the HDMI cabled directly to the Sony Bravia TV. The Canon outputs in those frame rates in a *.mov format so a typical file that I shoot is around 2Gb but I transcode to mp4.

The unit is marketed as being able to do 4K. I can appreciate it not doing on the fly transcoding but it should be able to play it after I transcode it!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-453Be No 4K - HELP

Post by dolbyman »

treat it as a NAS ..not as a player....and you will be much happier

also neither mov nor mp4 are codecs (they are containers) ..so.it's hard to help here

why not play directly on your smarttv?
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

Well its marketed as playing 4K and I plan to hold them to account for this. in your reply you say play directly to the smartv but that would mean plugging the camera into the tv to view the videos? I need a place to store these videos that why I purchased the NAS in the first place.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP is full of false promises ... write them if you want them to know .. they don't come here, so ranting here is futile

If your Sony TV uses android, install KODI on it and then just access the NAS via SMB, nothing for the NAS to do but SMB filesharing (it will hold the video files) and no video connection needed, all directly played on the TV.

Speaking of false promises .. never never EVER expose you NAS to WAN to share files with other people or yourself .. QNAP likes to advertise the "private cloud" features .. but when all files have been cnrypted by hackers (3 malware campaigns so far this year alone) they whistle and look the other way .. so don't do it
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

My NAS is on the local area network only, there are no connections from the NAS to the outside. It is behind a Watchguard firewall. Everything I do from outside is through my own VPN and the files on the NAS are backed up to another device. People don't see that yes the NAS has multiple drives but only one motherboard, back plane and powersupply.

Are you suggesting that the 4K files be kept on the NAS but pull them from the NAS over ethernet using SMB from Kodi and forget the HDMI this will allow the 4K files to be played?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Just making sure you don't plan to expose your NAS .. if that is not the case .. good)

Yes, forget about the NAS HDMI port and use it as a NAS only. If the used codecs are supported by your TV SOC, it should work like a charm.
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

You have been great, just one more question is plex an option on the nas or tv to solve my 4K playing problem?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

PLEX playback support has been removed from all QNAP (see a pattern here how bad playback support is on QNAP?)

But Plex Server on the QNAP and Plex Player on the TV should work fine. (again, no HDMI from the NAS in use)

Make sure you label the Plex libary as "personal files" for these so Plex does not try to match them with any movie/show/music databases

I use Plex server on my TVS-951X and it works great

Movies&TV shows in 4k HDR (HDR10 or DV) are not a problem via direct play to my TV's)

same with personal video files (HDR10+)
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

Which is better Kodi or Plex, for my needs in your opinion?
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

Also your box is high end mine is not
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

No the boxes CPU performance is not that different

TVS-951X = Celeron 3865U (HD 610)
TS-453Be = Celeron J3455 (HD 500)

Overall multithreading performance is better on the J3455 due to quad core

I would say for personal videos, KODI is better (and free)
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

Ok thanks will load that up on the TV tonite, thanks
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

No go it says the source is too slow to allow continuous play, the NAS is 1Gb and the TV is 100Mb
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

Also tried a transcoded file from 2Gb mov file to 500mb mp4 file and it wont play the same source is too slow?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I know the pain of slow network ports on TVs same on my 65KS8000 ..only 100Mbit

What is the video bandwidth? .. low compression?

Any video that is less than 8MB/s should be fine

Return to “Media Streaming”