TS-453Be No 4K - HELP

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
ozphoto
Starting out

Re: TS-453Be No 4K - HELP

Post by ozphoto »

the unit has 8G ram and 2 Tb of cache.
2021-07-13 20_14_07-Window.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Nono..I meant how much data is transferred per second for the video..has nothing to do with the units RAM or storage

how large is that 18s clip?

baically

overall size / time = bandwidth needed (on CBR)
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

The file size varies but this one was 1.2Gb
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1200MB/18s=67MB/s ..so that will not work on your 100Mbit/s TV connection

So you need to either need to transcode them to 10MB/s or less or use a player with better ethernet (e.g. Nvidia shield)

Your NAS should be able to supply that speed no problem (a single disk will max out 1GbE)
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

Ok but when I transcode that file using Cayin I get 500Mb mp4 but that wont play either
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Recode a file with (e.g. handbrake) to a size accommodating the 8MB/s max threshold, put it on the NAS and test it.

so for a 16s file, it should be no larger than 130MB
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

2021-07-14 16_30_44-TS-453Be No 4K - HELP - Page 2 - QNAP NAS Community Forum — Mozilla Firefox.jpg
Interesting I took the 1.9GB mov file and using handbrake, and I think I did it right see attachment, I transcoded it down to 32Mb mp4 and played it and is stuttered a very small amount but played. How can a mov file that is 1.9Gb in size reduced to 32mb still be in 4K??

How much better would a Nvidia Shield Pro be and I assume I can pull 4K mov files from the NAS and then HDMI 1.4 (which the NAS) I doubt the Sony TV has HDMI 2.0

You mentioned there was a Plex Viewer for the Sony Smart Tv to work in conjunction with the plex server on the NAS, where is this player found?

Also what other video viewer should I be using on the Tv, I find the HD viewer from QNAP horrible.

Sorry for all the question but I am struggling here,and you seem quite an expert!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Depending on your camera settings the files might be optimized for video editing, so that means low compression and/or shorter keyframe intervals (pretty sure BobZelin could elaborate more here)

By transcoding it (depending on settings) you are using a General Purpose Software transcoder that can compress much better* than a dedicated little hardware chip. I go for h265 nowadays on all my transcodes as it has a bit of quality/size advantage over h264 at the cost of encoding speed.

*pretty sure there is extremely expensive and high quality dedicated hardware encoding/transcoding appliances for broadcast and mastering purposes

NVIDIA shield would have the advantage of 1GbE and probably a better hardware decoding chip than your TV, I don't know what model your TV is, but if you are ok with 4k@30p/24p SDR, HDMI 1.4 should be ok

Plex should be in the Android TV appstore, same with Kodi (I have never heard of QNAP HD player as an app)
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

You mentioned early that Plex was a good option and that I needed a Plex Viewer but all I see is the Plex Stream app with no hook into the Plex Server on my NAS so a bit confused as to what this is called and where to get it, dont see it on google play?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You get the Plex client for the TV through the playstore / Android TV Appstore

https://support.plex.tv/articles/catego ... ndroid-tv/
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

I have no idea of what Mr. Ozphoto is trying to do. He is not specific about his application. Is he trying to play a full res 4K video from a camera in an editing application - or is this just for fun on his home Plex system ? I am very confused here.
Bob
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I think OP is trying to play 4k footage sourced directly from his camera, on a different system in his network. The TV only has 100Mbit/s network port so it is completely overwhelmed with the amount of data. (apparently more in line with 700-800Mb it/s needed)

So he either needs to lower the file size... or up the network speed of his player.

The question targeted to you (Bob) was:
He was wondering why the 'raw' files from the camera seem so 'poorly optimized' in contrast to re-encoded files (x264).
And I said, that the camera files are optimized for video editing and are purposefully so large to preserve quality (due to hardware encode limitations) and NVR editablitly (is that a word ?)
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

Ok I have the mov files on the nas and they are quite large for 20 seconds worth they are around 2Gb in size. You are right the TV only has a 100Mbs port and 4 HDMI. Correct me if I am wrong but I need to transcode these down first to 24fps which is what I did handbrake gave me a mp4 file of around 69Mb? Is this right? The file still shows it is 4K resolution.

I can play 4K content from Youtube over the 100mb ethernet port on the TV , its probably very compressed though.

What I am trying to do is create the steps to play my camera 4K files on my TV. ( I am not hooking the camera up to the TV)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

As said before, the important part is the size per duration. (bitrate)

So a
100MB file for a 2 min video is less then 1Mbit\s of bitrate
100MB file for a 5 sec video is around 20Mit\s of bitrate
etc.

So you need to either encode your files so they fit into your pathway of 100Mbit\s or up the speed of your pathway (a faster connection to a different player that supports 1GbE)
ozphoto
Starting out

Post by ozphoto »

OK using Handbrake I transcoded the video down to 24fps and an average kps of 80000 approx 80Mb and it still wont play right. It is 90mb in size. That should fit into the 100mb port of the TV but does not work. It starts then stops and then dissappears from the screen. Qnap told me to use a browser on the TV and go to the Plex Server which is what I did and again it wont work properly. I also tried 8000 kbps as you suggested and it too will not work. What a pain.

Return to “Media Streaming”