Twonky Server on QNAP TS-230

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
nasomenos
New here

Twonky Server on QNAP TS-230

Post by nasomenos »

Hi there,

About to take ownership of my new QNAP TS-230 and I'm investigating options for DLNA and media streaming and have a few questions....

1. I've used Twonky in the past with a fair degree of success and noticed in the QNAP App Store that Twonky Server isn't available for download on the TS-230. Given that its available for the TS-231K, is this an oversight that will be corrected by QNAP?
2. Does anyone know of any issues with the freely available DLNA/Media Streaming add-on from QNAP? My use case is ultimately going to be music streaming via DTS Play-fi using an Audiolab 6000a Play. Hoping obviously that if Twonky isn't available then the QNAP equivalent will suffice.
3. I also have a couple of Sonos speakers that I'll need to connect. Again this looks reasonably simple based on following link (https://nascompares.com/answer/smb-v1-c ... for-sonos/). However thoughts and suggestions to alternatives (if any) would be appreciated.

Cheers.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Twonky Server on QNAP TS-230

Post by dolbyman »

1. Remember .. QNAP does not come here .. so no need to ask if QNAP plans or knows anything .. download the latest twonky from here (ARM64)
2. No idea .. try the free QNAP DLNA or pay for twonky
nasomenos
New here

Post by nasomenos »

Thanks...didn't realise you could install apps manually. Plex looks like it could be another option as well and is supported according to DTS Play-Fi https://play-fi.com/faq/entry/recommend ... r-software
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

For audio, Plex could be ok on your device, but for video it's by far too weak. (afaik the SOC hardware engine is not supported by Plex and raw processor power is too limited here)
nasomenos
New here

Post by nasomenos »

I do have an extensive movie collection ripped from DVD and Blu-Ray but I don't have any transcoding requirements for these. So it looks like Plex with DLNA enabled could be the solution here.
BulliFan
New here

Post by BulliFan »

I downloaded the 8.5.2 directly from Twonky and I´m running the 30 Days Trial,
last week it was $ 19,95 for the Lifetime Licence, noch it is $ 19,95 for a Year
and $ 74,- for the Lifetime Licence, the price is now more than 3 times higher!!!
Ist there a 8.5 Twonky Version, which I can download from QNAP from an other TS Model, which is compatible with the TS-230
an use the QNAP Licence for $ 22,99 ?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if you download the qnap version you can use the qnap license (different licensing than official twonky)

https://software.qnap.com/twonky-server-8-5.html
BulliFan
New here

Post by BulliFan »

@dolbyman
there is no TS-230 QNAP Twonky App on the QNAP Site
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

contact qnap then if they can add the version or use a different dlna server (or pay the higher twonky price)

Return to “Media Streaming”