Changed System Admin means that Plex no longer recognises new folders

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
ColinQ
First post

Changed System Admin means that Plex no longer recognises new folders

Post by ColinQ »

I recently created a new systems admin account, replacing the default 'admin' account. Both are part of the 'administrators' user group.

This has caused problems with Plex.

If I upload a new movie (into an existing folder) Plex recognises it and it is available.

If I create a new folder (not shared folder') for a TV show, Plex does not find it. Furthermore if I try to use Qfinder Pro to upload shows to it, it states that the folder does not exist.

Properties show that Plex is seeing folders/files owned by the original 'admin' account but not the 'NewAdmin' account.

Any thoughts about how to fix? Uninstall Plex, re-install and rebuild the database? Change the folder ownership to old admin user (but seems backwards) or take all folders into NewAdmin ownership (but how?). Map the overall shared folder to Windows and use it to change ownership?

Any suggestions welcomed. (Note, I have not used command line control of my NAS much - although have been using batch files since MS-DOS days.

TS-251B, 8GB RAM. QTS 5.0.0.2055
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: Changed System Admin means that Plex no longer recognises new folders

Post by dosborne »

Although recommended as a general security practice, and by QNAP themselves, personally, I found too many issues with trying to run with a new admin account. I think it is a combination of poor execution by QNAP (mostly) and the way apps are loaded and run, and partly, to a lesser extent, many of the apps themselves. I don't run plex, but have some issues just from a basic QNAP app point of view.

With a lot of effort, it may be possible to disable the original admin account, but this seems to come up fairly often.

In my case, I simply decided it wasn't worth the effort as my NAS is a) properly and regularly backed up, b) has UPnP and port forwarding disabled (i.e. no inbound internet traffic) and c) is running in a secure LAN.

It may be worth considering if you would actually get any benefit (increased security) by spending the time trying to figure it out and get everything working (if it is even possible) or simply take the appropriate steps to otherwise protect your NAs and data (which is a good idea regardless of whether or not you disable admin).

So far at least, I don't think any of the vulnerabilities have exploited "admin", other than people that expose their GUI and see reams of brute force password attempts.

Up to you of course to decide, sorry to be negative :)
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]

Return to “Media Streaming”