Here are Twonky 5/6 trees to suit larger music collections

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Briain
Experience counts

Re: Here are Twonky 5/6 trees to suit larger music collectio

Post by Briain »

Hi

Yes, it would seem that the 219 does replace them immediately, however, I have found a way to prevent this happening. If you change the trees to executable, then copy them over, the 219 will not overwrite them even if you restart the NAS!

I changed the albumartist ones to executable (I navigated to the share and folder in which they were stored, then typed chmod +x * then copied them to /resources/views as describe before). If you unzip the ones from my previous posts, for example, to a new folder called 'views' on the Public share, you can use PuTTY to navigate there and change the permissions.

cd /share/Public/views
ls (should show the files)
chmod +x *
ls (they should now show in green)

Now move back to the /resources/views foder (cd /mnt/ext/opt/twonkymedia/resources/views as shown in the original post)

Then copy them as before.

Once you have copied them over, type ls to list them and they should all now show in green (the colour executable files are shown as)

Now try the Twonky database rebuild and the new menu's should be there once it has finished.

Bri
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
hugoread
Starting out

Post by hugoread »

Brian you are truly a giant amongst men and never let anyone tell you otherwise. The trees are now loaded and running no problems. I like going from genre to composer (like you pointed out), so you can filter for just classical composers. I love having the album artist working finally of course and I love going from composer to album artist to album. All great.

One question, on one of my previous posts I pointed out a possible way to navigate that includes the year of the album that would be really nifty if it's possible. I'll try and explain what I mean....

Let's say I'm using the tree -Genres- ; after choosing 'Folk-Rock' I then choose the sub-tree item -Album Artists- and then choose 'Dylan, Bob'. This then gives me an alphabetical list of his albums. What would be really cool would be if there was another tree that was almost the same, but was called '-Genres by year-' for example, with the only difference being this final list of albums would be with the album title concatenated onto the year, for example "1965 - Highway 61 Revisited". Of course if the list were sorted alphabetically that would then be the same as sorting by year. So in this example you weren't ever choosing albums by year, but when you were presented with a list of albums you get to see the year in front of each album title, which would be really nice. What do you think?! Exactly the same point could stand for the -Composers- tree as well. An alternative way of doing it would be to use the same tree, but have an extra final step after choosing your album artist of choosing either -Albums- or -Albums by year-. This would of course mean fewer trees but one more navigation step. You could argue it either way I guess.

Incidentally, on finally sorting out the problem with the trees, something weird was happening with copying the trees. After copying them, and confirming each overwrite in PuTTY, I still didn't get the trees in twonky after a rebuild, so I copied them again and then looked inside the copied files using the unix 'more' command immediately after copying. I then realised that even after confirming the copy, the files on the server were the old ones; ie the copy was being instantly reverted or in fact wasn't actually copying when the terminal suggested otherwise. I got round this by deleting the existing trees using PuTTY first (a rm * in the appropriate folder), then copying the new ones in to the folder, then setting them as executable and then finally doing a rebuild. Then they didn't get overwritten. It's like when overwriting them, even with a confirm, they weren't actually overwriting for some reason. Anyway, I thought I'd share that with you as it might be useful for other people with the same problem. Perhaps a safer script would be to remove the default ones first and then copy the new ones across.

Best,
Hugo.
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

Great to hear that we have sorted it!

Yes, the Marvell NAS seems to immediately overwrite them when it notices that they are different. I tried removing them, then replacing them, but it still overwrote them before I had a chance to make them executable. What I eventually did was to chmod +x them whilst they were still sitting on the share, then copy them into /views; that worked well. When I get some time, I'll update the instructions and add that step to the screen shot of the PuTTY session.

The trees were designed to be a reasonable compromise to mostly suit the majority of users and control points (used by Linn DS users) and also to work on a slow NAS. The alpha grouping option is needed for things like Kinsky PDA as Windows mobile cannot display more than about 100 album covers. This means that the list size has to be limited and you thus have to page forwards. If you wish to put on the album called 'Zuma', that's a lot pf paging forwards, so being able to go to the Z container immediately is very handy. To be honest, if I'm using the iPad, I still use these alpha-grouping shortcuts for albums anyway (even though I don't strictly need them; the -Browse All- works fine on iPad as the maximum list size is, I think, something like 20,000) as it's still a bit faster when you know which album you want.

What's in the tree shapes the design (and contents) of the Twonky database. I did start out with even more feature-rich trees (for example, the year container didn't just show albums, but also album artist, artist and artist, composer) but that added nearly 20% to the database rebuild time. On a ReadyNAS with our sized collection, the database build time is ov 90 minutes and the menu navigation with a more complex tree was also noticeably slower, so I cut it back to the more basic version published here. The other thing was that many albums have no year info when ripped, so for most folks (who don't spanned ages re-tagging, the year 'filter' is not as ideal as it could be anyway.

As to sorting by year once in an existing container, I did very briefly try that as someone asked for the albums to be listed cronologically as opposed to alphabetically. I didn't have much success, and I discovered that others had tried - and failed - so didn't pursue that experiment as far as I should have. Again, I'll maybe try again sometime soon; I know a bit more now and Twonky 6 might also behave differently to that sort order.

Of course, you can probably imagine what happens when you get something like a 10 years of Beatles album with each track labeled with a different year; it makes a grand old mess of the whole concept! That's another key reason why I didn't spend too long pondering year sorting in other containers. :)

Bri
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
hugoread
Starting out

Post by hugoread »

Thanks Brian and thanks again for your help in getting the copying problem sorted out.

On the Year stuff, maybe we'll see what happens in Twonky 6 then or let me know if you come up with anything! I know a lot of people wouldn't need or use it, but I reckon there are probably a lot who would love to see the albums of an artist listed in year order. Then I would have an option to list my Dylan albums, for example, as follows:

1962 - Bob Dylan
1963 - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
1964 - The Times They Are a-Changin'
1965 - Highway 61 Revisited
1969 - Nashville Skyline

or simply without the year prefixed as follows:

Bob Dylan
Highway 61 Revisited
Nashville Skyline
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
The Times They Are a-Changin'

Another time!

Cheers,
Hugo.
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

The first option is not possible and the second option could maybe be possible but doesn't work! :)

Even if the second option did work, the trouble to ponder is that there is no such entry as an album date; it's the individual tracks that have the date info. Even if it worked for albums that had all tracks with the same date, if the tracks all had different dates, the album would appear once for each year. For albums like that, you'd have to incorrectly date all the tracks (to make them all the same year) or delete all dates from the tracks on that album (so it appears at the bottom of the list).

I'd also have to check if track date sort order would conflict with album track sort order and disk number sort order (particularly if there were different dates for different tracks) but I'll give it another try sometime and see how T6 reacts; if nothing else, it'll be fun finding out what does actually happen! :)

Bri
APC Smart-UPS 750
hugoread
Starting out

Post by hugoread »

Cheers Brian, we'll wait for T6 then and see what that gives us. I realise that this would only be useful for albums where all the tracks have the same year, so for a compilation you'd probably see loads of the same album for all the different years, but I'd only use it for looking at albums of artists where the albums were 'released' albums with one date, that would be the same for all tracks. One wouldn't have to use it where it was inappropriate! Anyway, thanks for all your help so far and maybe chat again when T6 comes out on the QNAP!

Bye for now,
Hugo.
cloudyweather
Getting the hang of things

Post by cloudyweather »

Hi Bri,

Have you accessed Sample Size from Twonky? e.g. 16 or 24 bit. My 24bit collection is growing and sometimes I'd like to list them. I could use Genre but would prefer not.
I've tried the infamous Twonky config manual dated Nov2009 and the database properties listed but they don't seem to provide anything useful for flac.
I know Chorus displays this so I'm guessing it's possible ....

Also - something that might be of interest to Hugo.
I only use Composer for classical works. Album is now tagged like 'Mozart: Requiem'. Title has the movements. AlbumArtist is the principle artist.
I've implemented the below which goes straight to classical composers, let's you choose the work and then the principle performer (Album Artist).
So in the example above, I have 3 different performances of Mozart's Requiem and I get to choose which I want after selecting it. Mozart's Requiem itself only takes up the 1 line under Composer.

<container name='-Classical by Composer-' upnp:originalTrackNumber='3' id='music/composers' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack' class='object.container' >
<container buildon='upnp:author@role[5]' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack' class='object.container' >
<container buildon='upnp:author@role' class='object.container.person.musicArtist' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack'>
<container buildon='upnp:album' albumart='1' sortcriteria='+upnp:originalTrackNumber' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack' class='object.container.album.musicAlbum' >
container buildon='upnp:albumArtist' class='object.container.person.musicArtist' sortcriteria='+pv:numberOfThisDisc,+upnp:originalTrackNumber' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack'>
</container>
</container>
</container>
</container>
</container>

Thanks,
Sean
TS-269L with Twonky, MinimServer, LogitechMediaServer, phpMyAdmin, Joomla and TNG Family Tree.
cloudyweather
Getting the hang of things

Post by cloudyweather »

Sample Rate would also be very useful. Squeezebox supports 44.1KHz 24bit whereas my MDS supports higher. Nice to have a twonky tree that has 16bit/24bit and then the frequency below that :)
TS-269L with Twonky, MinimServer, LogitechMediaServer, phpMyAdmin, Joomla and TNG Family Tree.
axelk
First post

Post by axelk »

To get the adjusted files to stay after the reboot (I have a TS-659 Pro with 3.3.4 Build 1019T) I did the following:

According to the file /etc/init.d/twonkymedia.sh you could place a modifed tar archive in the directory /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/ with the name 'twonkymedia.tar.gz'. This will then be extracted after each reboot instead of the file /mnt/ext/opt/source/twonkymedia.tar.gz.

So first pick up the file /mnt/ext/opt/source/twonkymedia.tar.gz. Unarchive it somewhere (eg. /share/MD0_DATA/tmp) and add Briains files (515_transcoding.zip, ArtistOnly.zip):

Code: Select all

[/etc/init.d] # cd /share/MD0_DATA/
[/share/MD0_DATA] # mkdir tmp
[/share/MD0_DATA] # cd tmp/
[/share/MD0_DATA/tmp] # gzip -cd /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/twonkymedia.tar.gz | tar xvf -
[/share/MD0_DATA/tmp] # cd resources/
[/share/MD0_DATA/tmp/resources] # rm transcoding.db  
[/share/MD0_DATA/tmp/resources] # unzip /share/MD0_DATA/Download/515_transcoding.zip 
Archive:  /share/MD0_DATA/Download/515_transcoding.zip
  inflating: transcoding.db
	[/share/MD0_DATA/tmp/resources/views] # unzip /share/MD0_DATA/Download/ArtistOnly.zip      
	Archive:  /share/MD0_DATA/Download/ArtistOnly.zip
	  inflating: playlists.view.xml
	  inflating: ipodlike.view.xml
	  inflating: folder.view.xml
	  inflating: classified.view.xml
	  inflating: advanced.view.xml
	  inflating: view-definitions.xml
	  inflating: simple.view.xml
[/share/MD0_DATA/tmp/resources/views] # cd ..
[/share/MD0_DATA/tmp/resources] # cd ..
[/share/MD0_DATA/tmp] # tar cvf /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/twonkymedia.tar *
[/share/MD0_DATA/tmp] # gzip /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/twonkymedia.tar
[/share/MD0_DATA/tmp] # cd ..
[/share/MD0_DATA] # rm -rf tmp

and reboot.. at least for me that worked. No guarantee that this will work for everybody.

Axel

Code: Select all

This is the place where in /etc/init.d/twonkymedia.sh you can see that if there is a twonkymedia.tar.gz in the update_pkg *this* file will be used instead the one in /mnt/ext/opt/source/twonkymedia.tar.gz as usual..
[..]
MNT_POINT="/mnt/ext"
TWONKY_SOURCE="${MNT_POINT}/opt/source/twonkymedia.tar.gz"
ROOT_PART="/mnt/HDA_ROOT"
UPDATEPKG_DIR="${ROOT_PART}/update_pkg"
[..]
if [ -f ${UPDATEPKG_DIR}/twonkymedia.tar.gz ]; then
        [ ! -f $TWONKY_SOURCE ] || /bin/rm -f $TWONKY_SOURCE
        TWONKY_SOURCE="${UPDATEPKG_DIR}/twonkymedia.tar.gz"
[..]
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Twonky Trees Updated Today
(15th November 2010)

Hi Folks

I've just found a minor discrepancy in my previously published custom tree packs and have just updated them (15th Nov 2010). I've not seen any problems with the previous ones (and I've been using them for a long time) but it's probably worth your time updating them at some stage. The entire forum post (now with the updated trees) is still available from the previous page (here), or the trees can be directly downloaded by clicking on the below hyper-links:

Album Artist Tree Pack
Artist Only Tree Pack

Remember to perform a full Twonky database rebuild after changing them (to pick up the new code).

Important Note

The above trees are suitable for all versions of Twonky 5.1.x and 6.0.xx and work well with very large music collections. I use them with separate control points line Songbook DS, Chorus DS and Linn's Kinsky Desktop and Kinsky PDA (running on an iPad, a PC and a PDA) to control media streamed from a NAS to three Linn DS players. As before, please note that they do not use the standard Twonky containers and thus could cause problems for some other devices (I think some renderer/control combinations - maybe things like Roku and PS3 - are fussy about the standard containers being present).

Briain
Last edited by Briain on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
APC Smart-UPS 750
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

Custom trees revised on 25th November 2010

An issue has been spotted and now resolved.

Many thanks due to Linn forum user Arnold (also known as JAB on the Qnap and Twonky forums) for spending ages finding out why the custom trees didn't work well with his Arcam media player (which then caused havoc with the Twonky menus and thus also likely caused havoc with the Twonky database). I have now attached the updated versions to the Qnap forum post.

They can also be downloaded by clicking the below links:

Album Artist Tree Pack
Artist Only Tree Pack

(Minor update: I added mobile view on 10th Dec 2010 in case it's absence caused any issues with 6.0.30)

For anyone interested, the change is as follows:

Unlike Twonky's current trees I've been using upnp:originalTrackNumber='x' to arrange sub menus within the Music section of the tree (and the sub menus with in these sub menus as well). I didn't bring the all tracks container into the views trees and thus didn't bother allocating it a sort order. It seems the Arcam still saw this container (likely via the shortcut ID id='music/all') and because everything else had a sort order, this dramatically upset things as soon as a track was played on the Arcam (it caused multiple Twonky menu repetition). He added the sort order to id='music/all' and the issue has been totally resolved, so I have now updated both the tree packs to include this.

Again, many thanks to JAB for spending hours trying to get his Arcam working and thus finding out that this change sorts things :)

Bri
APC Smart-UPS 750
mbee
New here

Post by mbee »

Many thanks for these files they are great.

I put them on my TS109 II and rescanned the directorieswhich loaded the custom trees. Then I was away for a week so switched the NAS off. Thought I would have to reload the files but when Twonky started the trees were still there :D .

Running firmware 3.3.0
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

Tree locations for new Twonky 6 QPKG

I've added a note to the bottom of the main tree post on page two. This shows where the trees live in the new QPKG of Twonky 6.0.30 (the example shown is from my TS-659).

Bri
APC Smart-UPS 750
iqt
New here

Post by iqt »

Hi,

also thanks for the work from my side!

I'm using the Album Artist trees and it works fine for flac and ogg (OGG Vorbis tags) with QPKG of Twonky 6.0.30 on TS-109 II.

But for files with the id3-tags (e.g. mp3) the songs are also listed under -Album Artists- although the ALBUMARTIST,TPE2,... tags are empty. This is not what I expect. Can somebody confirm this? What versions of id3 are you using (v1, v2.3, v2.4)

Dirk
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

I have one MP3 file in my collection and also noticed thay the album artist tag didn't work (it uses info from the artist tag instead and will thus make a mess of compilations). I have to assume that this is a bug in Twonky, but as I don't use MP3, it might have been there for a while. As Twonky don't use the album artist tag in their own tree, it's possible they missed the problem when developing the newer Twonky versions. I did send them an email about it, but I've not heard whether it's been officially listed as a bug. I also posted about it in the Twonky forum, but I've not had time to follow up any replies. My suggestion would be for folks that use MP3 to join the Twonky forum and report it as an issue such that its profile is raised; that would maybe help accelerate a fix.

Kind regards
Bri
APC Smart-UPS 750

Return to “Media Streaming”