[SOLVED] Connection loss while Twonky is running

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
sheats
Starting out

[SOLVED] Connection loss while Twonky is running

Post by sheats »

I started experimenting with Twonky today and have run into some problems. After its initial discovery of all of my media, I started trying to access it. About the same time I noticed the shares I had mounted became periodically unresponsive and the web interface on the QNAP would lock up then come back a minute or two later. My ssh connection into the QNAP would lock up also. I noticed firmware V1.1.5 was released so I upgraded to that. Things got better but not perfect.

After a couple of reboots I was able to get my Xbox 360 playing media off the QNAP. Sweet! Except half way through a song it would cut out. Or occasionally it was unable to open a song listing etc.

So I started running a ping to it and I saw packets dropping once in a while. About an 8% loss on average. I tried then turning Twonky back off and the packet loss stopped. Everything worked great, web interface stopped locking up, etc.

I'm 99% sure it's not my PC, the XBOX, or the network. Everything checks out there. The QNAP and the XBOX (and the PC) are only seperated by a single Gigabit switch sitting in the same room. I even tried different ethernet cables etc. It feels like the QNAP just gets too busy for it to serve packets once in a while.

As for config I'm serving SMB and NFS. MediaCenter and iTunes server are disabled (for now). No one else is accesing the QNAP but me. Oh and I have a pair of Seagate Barracudas 750GB mirrored.

Anyone have a suggestions?

Thanks, Matt

#####################################

If you follow the thread you'll see the suggestions was made to upgrade the firmware on my D-LINK DI624 Rev C Router to the latest 2.76 rev from 2.5. It has been several days of flawless operation with Twonky. My suspicion would be some issue with UPNP but I have no proof.

Anyway I hope this of help to someone.

Thanks, Matt
Last edited by sheats on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
klarei
New here

Re: [HELP TS209Pro] Connection loss while Twonky is running

Post by klarei »

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem described by Matt but I’m using a ts-109. Tried several thing including updated the firmware from 1.1.5. Everything works but suddenly everything disrupts including webbinterface, share, ssh and ping. When I disable the Twonky everything works perfect with the Qnap.I am Using a Soundbride and DI-624+ router.
Any advices?
Regards
Klas
klarei
New here

Post by klarei »

Hi again,

Think i have solved the problem by rebuilding the Twonky database from web interface. Worked good so far... no hangs or freezing.

/Klas
klarei
New here

Post by klarei »

Sorry to say same problems occured after about 2 hours again... This drives me mad. Any response from Qnap team?. Has also submited request to on support page this monday.

/Klas
sheats
Starting out

Post by sheats »

I have been working on other things like getting subversion setup.

Sorry I didn't understand your last post. You already submitted a ticket to the support team?

If so, I'll be anxious to hear what they tell you.

Thanks, Matt
klarei
New here

Post by klarei »

Hi Matt,

Yes i have submitted a request to the support team but have not yet recieved any response. I will come back as soon as i got any answer. By the way, have you come any further?

Best regards

Klas
sheats
Starting out

Post by sheats »

I haven't tried anything else. It's is more of a "nice" feature to me, not the reason I bought the NAS. So I'm willing to wait out a solution.

That said I'll have a new Hi Def TV with SP3 attached here in a couple of weeks so my patience may run out by then. :D

Matt
jesperth
First post

Post by jesperth »

I have just purchased the TS209 and even though I am very happy with the setup experience and general functionality, I am a little disappointed with this particular issue. It pretty much make the media straming useless.

My symptoms are similar to described in this thread. Streaming to my XBOX works fine, but every now and then (like after playing 8 or 9 songs) playing will simply stop in the middle of a song. It never resumes on its own, but I can press "Next" on my remote and then playing resumes with the next song.

My XBOX is my only UpNP device so I can't say if the problem occurs anywhere else.
sheats
Starting out

Post by sheats »

I appreciate the extra information. It sounds similar but the music loss happens more frequently on my setup. Lucky me! :D

Anyway I continue to become disappointed that no one has replied here about this.

I wonder if klarei has heard anything back yet.

Matt
stephenc78
New here

Post by stephenc78 »

This is happening to me to. Seems to be random as to when the songs cut out. i'm streaming to an xbox360.

If anyone gets a resolution can they please post it on this thread.

Thanks
Steve
klarei
New here

Post by klarei »

HI all of you,

I think ive solved the problem, for me at least. Ive upgraded the router firmware to the latest version and now it works all fine. My router is the D-link 624+. Seems like the twonky media server hanged the QNap for some reason with the old firmware. Realy strage as all other connections to other devices on my network worked att the same time. Hopefully this will help you.

Regards

Klas
sheats
Starting out

Post by sheats »

Huh.

Well I do have a D-LINK 624. That is something I never thought of because the router really isn't in the loop.

But what the heck, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the tip!

Does anyone else here have a 624?

Matt
stephenc78
New here

Post by stephenc78 »

My router's a Netgear WGT624.

I've just upgraded to the latest QNAP firmware tonight so will see if it helps. Will check if there is updated netgear firmware too.

Steve
sheats
Starting out

Post by sheats »

Well, I never would have believed it but....

I upgraded my DI624 Rev C from 2.50 to 2.76 and I left a ping running when I went to bed.

This morning, 8 hours and 30,000 packets later not a single one dropped.

So there is definitely something to it. Thanks again for the tip!

Matt

Return to “Media Streaming”