QNAP NAS with iTunes

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
gatto_mannaro
Getting the hang of things

Re: QNAP NAS with iTunes

Post by gatto_mannaro »

I see that this discussion is quite old, so I don't know how updated it is
I was looking how to setup the music sharing for all idevices best.
I'm trying to use that server on the latest firmware, I doesn't seem to work properly. I needed to modify the conf file by hand (when I was choosing the directory from the web I was notified of an error). Now that the directory is pointed correctly, I run scan but no files are found.
Some hints? Shall I think to something different?
Paul&Joanne
New here

Post by Paul&Joanne »

When I moved from PC to NAS storage I decided to still keep iTunes as my music library.
I don't bother using the QNAP "Multimedia" Folder, or activating QNAP's own "iTunes Server" option.

Here's what I do...
All my main music files are stored on the NAS in a folder I created called "Music".
iTunes creates copies of the music in it's own media folder.

So, here's how I set it up...
Open iTunes on the PC and go:
Preferences>General> give the library a useful name.
Preferences>Sharing> Tick Share Your Library.
Preferences>Advanced> Tick the options Keep iTunes Organised, Share iTunes Library XML, and Copy Files to iTunes Media Folder.
Finally, know where your iTunes library folder is located... Preferences>Advanced
You can now close iTunes

Go to QNAP, open File Station and create a new folder called "iTunes".
Copy everything from the original iTunes folder you located on the PC to this new iTunes folder you created on QNAP.

You're almost done...
Press-and-Hold Shift while opening iTunes on the PC.
Select the Choose Library option.
Locate/browse the new iTunes folder you created on the QNAP, and in it should be the library directory file.
iTunes then displays all your music library as it normally does.
When you reopen iTunes you don't need to press Shift, just open as usual.

That's it really.
If you have any other PC's on the network you'll be using use Hold-Shift-and-Open iTunes to locate the library on the QNAP and you're sorted.
Enjoy.
QNAP HS251
leothe3rd
First post

Post by leothe3rd »

I'm new to this QNAP NAS TS-251B and added a copy of all my music (AIFF files) via a USB 3 HDD drive to a folder under Multimedia called Music. After everything was copied and indexed when I choose the QNAP NAS in iTunes apps, only the 2 sample music folders show up. What should I do to get the rest of my music library to show up? Is there a specific folder to use on the QNAP?
Cadtoon
Starting out

Post by Cadtoon »

iTunes in Windows 8.1
When I first decided I wanted to put my iTunes Library on my NAS I tried by setting it up in the Preferences of iTunes. That appeared to worked until I restarted iTunes, then it defaulted back to my local drive. It wasn't until I discovered, after hours of searching for a solution, how to use the Shift Key. That is, first, create a Desktop Shortcut for iTunes, then hold down the Shift Key and double click in the shortcut icon. Now select the library location on your NAS. In my case I previously had a network drive mapped (M:) = NAS Multimedia folder.

I hope this simple explanation helps others get through it easier then I did.

Return to “Media Streaming”