QNAP NAS with iTunes

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
vovka1960
New here

Re: QNAP NAS with iTunes

Post by vovka1960 »

Hi!

I'm using TS-109 pro II. And as I'm the novice in using iTunes and its server, I have some questions.

1. Can I browse my music using iTunes 4PC through read directories tree?

2. After opening connection, iTunes shows me some (about 10%) records in 'Music' folder. After opening the NAS device directly, iTunes shows much more records (it seems to me, that all of them ;)) and some of playlists. Why I cannot see all of the playlists? Can iTunes open 'pls' playlists?

3 And - the last question - can I use winamp instead of iTunes to play music from multimedia server (not by using shared folders) ?

Thank you
murda
Know my way around

Post by murda »

vovka1960 wrote:Hi!

2. After opening connection, iTunes shows me some (about 10%) records in 'Music' folder. After opening the NAS device directly, iTunes shows much more records (it seems to me, that all of them ;)) and some of playlists. Why I cannot see all of the playlists? Can iTunes open 'pls' playlists?

Thank you
Got the same issue. Only 7505 mp3's in Itunes and 8837 mp3's in Qmultimedia.
How weird is that ....
TS409Pro : 4 x Seagate ES.2 1TB
Pungent1
Starting out

Post by Pungent1 »

Hi,

I'm a little confused as to what the iTunes service is doing once enabled on the Qnap menu's when all were being asked to do is map up a network share in windows to the Qmultimedia folder and point the Itunes software to it? :?:

Also I'm having the same problems as CJ previously in the thread... where I map a drive to the Qmultimedia\music folder it never reconnects after a reboot of the PC even tho i connect as different user (ie. admin) and tick reconnect at logon etc... it never reconnects but always asks for the password again :roll:

Cheers.
stevebow
Been there, done that

Post by stevebow »

Pungent1 wrote:it never reconnects but always asks for the password again
Do you have a user account set up on your NAS that matches the username and password of your PC account? If so, you shouldn't be asked for your password as by default your PC user credentials are sent to the NAS. If no matching account found, you are prompted.

Also, why map a drive? Try setting up iTunes to connect via the network name eg. \\{NAS name}\Qmultimedia\Music\iTunes
NAS: TS-509 Pro
Firmware: 4.1.1 Build1101
Drives: 5 x Western Digital WD20EFRX (Red) 2TB drives (RAID5)

NAS: TS-409 Pro
Firmware: 3.3.2 build 0918T
Drives: 4 x Western Digital WD20EFRX (Red) 2TB drives (RAID0)
Note: TS-409 Disk Management GUI mostly non-functional with WD Red HDDs
lolthof
Starting out

Post by lolthof »

Why can't I see the QNAP as a shared folder in iTunes?
Model name: TS-209 Pro II
Firmare version: v 3.1.0 Build 0708 T
IP Address: Static
Services: Microsoft Networking, Web File Manager, Multimedia Station, iTunes Service, Download Station, Web Server
HDD: 2 x WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0 01.0 1500 GB
Network Config: 100 Mbps UP, MTU 1500 Bytes
Other: Sitecom WL-153 router, firmware
Connections: Toshiba Satelite A305-S6858 Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1
DavidGLyons
Starting out

Post by DavidGLyons »

lolthof wrote:Why can't I see the QNAP as a shared folder in iTunes?
Same question from me.

Look for shared libraries is checked in iTunes.
iTunes service is enabled on the NAS (TS-109).
Music files are in the Qmultimedia folder.

I don't even see the Shared folder in iTunes.

Any ideas?
ilconte
New here

Post by ilconte »

Hi,

I'm attempting to do something similar with my QNAP TS-219P and my Mac.

I've copied my iTunes folder to the Qmultimedia folder and enabled the iTunes server service on the Qnap. I've also restarted my Qnap and my Mac.
Essentially, I would like to be able to see the shared library on my Mac and on my PC - although not at the same time. I want to maintain a copy of my iTunes library on my Mac as I often travel and would like to be able to take my music with me.

However, the problem i'm finding is that I still can't the see the shared library on either my Mac or on the PC.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
NMTgimp
Starting out

Post by NMTgimp »

I have turned on the Itunes service, but when I open iTunes I can see the QNAP nas listed under shared but when I click on the QNAP share nothing happens, well the top bar wizzes as if iTunes is loading my media but then nothing.

I have my music all catagorized in folders by "artistname" and then "albumname" under a folder called "Music" which in itself is in the "multimedia" folder, so it looks something like /Multimedia/Music/Kaiser Chiefs/Employment (2005)

I would have thought this would work judging by what the help says, tried to search on these forms but nothing really comes up for the itunes service about this problem.

Cheers

NMTgimp
alexzidane
First post

Post by alexzidane »

Hi NMT. I experienced exactly the same problem as you, and my music is categorized just like yours.

I solved the problem by searching for playlists (*.m3u) in my music-folder, and deleting all existing playlists. After that I rebooted the NAS and all my music-files were exposed in iTunes. Now I'm moving to the next step which is to see whether or not it's possible to sync the shared folder with my 3GS.

Alex
NMTgimp
Starting out

Post by NMTgimp »

Alex, your a legend !removing all the *.m3u solved my problem, they could do with putting that in the interface somewhere !

Cheers

NMTgimp
squirrellydw
New here

Post by squirrellydw »

So let me see if I understand this.

1. If I use iTunes Server and have all my music on the QNAP and either download music from the iTunes store, some other site or import a CD that music will automatically show up on any computers that can access the QNAP, is this correct?

2. Using the setup I just mentioned with iTunes Server I can't sync my iPod, how would I sync it? I want ALL my music on the QNAP so it is backed up and accessible to all my computers.

3. Also is there a limit on how many files I can transfer at one time?
dulcifium
Been there, done that

Post by dulcifium »

How can you make it so that the music can be stored in a different folder to the QMultimedia folder?
QNAP TS-EC1079 Pro (4.3.4.0435) | 10 x 4 TB (WD WDC WD40EFRX firmware 82.00A82) | 32 TB RAID-6
QNAP TS-639 Pro (3.8.1 Build 20121205) | 6 x 3 TB (Toshiba DT01ACA300 firmware MX6OABB0) | 12 TB RAID-6
Both shared over single port GbE and wifi router to Linux, Android, Windows, macOS and NVIDIA Shield
faricci
New here

Post by faricci »

Hello,

this is my first post on qnap forum...

I don't know if this is a well-know issue but...

I wans't able to see my music from my 219p nas on my Itunes 9.1. After couple of try I figured out that if I choise "Label encoding" like "Chainese simplified" ( on itunes server configuration) I am able to see my music under Qmultimedia folder. it won't works if I choise English.

Bye bye
cruzer
New here

Post by cruzer »

Copied all my music to the Multimedia share (QNAP 459). When opening iTunes on my computer (Windows 7 64bit) en selecting the Shared music from the QNAP it completely hangs up iTunes. After 20~30 min its comes free again. Currently got more a 130 GB of music files listed. Is there any limit? Its not working able and very slow.
graham131
New here

Post by graham131 »

Hello,

Similar issues here:

TS-419p

Have tried all of the "solutions" offered above, but getting nowhere.

Enable iTunes Server on NAS - have tried, with and without password. - have tried english, chinese etc
Have searched for m3u files - have none
Have deleted all mp3 files and just tried it with 1 mp3 file in the qMultimedia folder
Have tried this on my MAC running snow leopard
PC running Xp SP3
Laptap running Windows 7
itunes sharing switched on
2 versions of itunes, 9.0 and 9.1

Still nothing - i cannot SEE anything in the shared area in itunes for my NAS (works fine for shared libraries between itunes, ie pc and mac)

Help Please!

Return to “Media Streaming”