QNAP NAS with iTunes

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
LiveMiles
First post

Re: QNAP NAS with iTunes

Post by LiveMiles »

Hello to those suffering with album artwork issues:(

I'm not sure about configuring iTunes on my NAS and have tried various attempts /ideas but nothing works.
I have another answer for the album art work problem though...Media Monkey works brilliantly!!!! Load the files into the program and just re-tag. Worked fine for me. Now its all showing:)

Hope this helps!

LiveMiles
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

LiveMiles wrote:Hello to those suffering with album artwork issues:(
Two things commonly mixed up here: Artwork in the iTunes library on the NAS file system vs. the lack of covers, lyrics, ... when accessing the NAS iTunes Server.

Obvious - to get artwork et all in iTunes the media must be tagged accordingly. This can be done to some extent in iTunes, too.

The so called iTunes server is an audio server (technically DAAP or Digital Audio Access Protocol) only. Therefore: No covers, no lyrics, no video, ...

Regards,
-Kurt.
ckahn
Know my way around

automount NAS volume on iTunes demand?

Post by ckahn »

I get this problem "iTunes Links to the Wrong Files", which is some kind of iTunes library corruption, which I think is due to the fact that I don't know how to make my NAS volume automount when iTunes needs to access it. Is there a way to get NAS volumes to automount in OS 10.8.4 in response to iTunes needing them?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/19 ... 0&tstart=0
http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... rong-files

When I attach my iPhone to my MacBook Air, iTunes starts syncing, but the NAS volume with my songs isn't there because my MBA just woke from sleep mode and songs appear offline, or worse the links become corrupt and point to the wrong file, which in many cases is just some random file and not a song at all, or is some other audio file like a voice memo in some random folder. If the song is offline you can relink by pointing iTunes to the correct location, but if iTunes is linked to some other file, there is no "relink" function in iTunes to fix files that are stupidly mis-linked.

This may or may not be complicated by the fact that my MacBook Air gets its ethernet connection via my Thunderbolt Display (which acts as a hub for ethernet, usb, etc., all via one thunderbolt connection).
Model name TS-219P II
Total memory 503 MB
Firmware version 4.3.3.0570 Build 20180528
verstaerker
Starting out

Post by verstaerker »

after updating to 4.02 i can't activate iTunes server anymore. Anyone any hints?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

QiTunesAir enabled?

Define
verstaerker wrote:can't activate iTunes server
. GUI control reverts to disabled? Enabled in GUI, but not operational? The daapd process exists, but nothing served?
verstaerker
Starting out

Post by verstaerker »

in the settings in the qnap gui it's disabled .. so i'm setting the checkbox to on but after clicking apply the checkbox is unchecked again.
Also it's not appearing in itunes anymore!?

yes QiTunesAir is enabled

daapd process doesn't seem to run
Last edited by verstaerker on Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Sounds like the /etc/config/uLinux.conf file is corrupted - typically obvious, and easy to spot.

There must be a section like this one, here it's located between [SMART] and [LOGS]:

[iTune]
Enable = TRUE
Password Enabled = 0
Code Page = CP0
Use Ext = V2
Web = TRUE
Web Password = password

Let's restore also the mt-daapd config:

[~] # /etc/init.d/init_iTune.sh stop
[~] # cp /mnt/ext/opt/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf /etc/config/mt-daapd.conf
[~] # /etc/init.d/init_iTune.sh start
verstaerker
Starting out

Post by verstaerker »

i'm not good in those shell things... i could login into the NAS and read the uLinux.conf and found the itune lines
how would i fix that now? i tried using vi to edit the enable line to TRUE ... didn't seem to work (maybe did not save it?)

i did the mt-daapd config fix you mentioned... i still can't enable the iTunes server
visnarel
First post

Post by visnarel »

Yeah same here, reset the conf, still can't see the iTunes server, and can't login to it as well keep rejecting the pass
AdamColour
First post

Post by AdamColour »

Hello,

I didn't want to start new topic but I have a quite interesting question,

I have qnap 469L, the scenario is like this:
I have mac pc with itunes on it
I have a qnap where i turned on itunes server and manually moved music from mac to q/multimedia folder
I have a sonos which looks for music in \\nas-ip\multimedia\music

When I buy a new song on itunes (with default library still on the mac) I don't see it in the sonos nor qnap
My question is how can I do some kind of synchronisation so when I buy a new song it will appear in qnap and sonos, BEARING IN MIND !!!! I need to access the library on my mac on my travels (so there needs to local library on the mac and sync on the qnap)!!!! very important....

Thanks
Adam
afdoughty
Starting out

Post by afdoughty »

Use this to sync the music folders on your PC and the laptop

http://sourceforge.net/projects/arrsync/
T109ii
Current firmware version: 3.3.2 Build 0918T
jynx78
New here

Post by jynx78 »

Im have trouble downloading from iTunes to nas since update, on mac any suggestions?
FlagBearer
New here

Post by FlagBearer »

ahhh thank god i found this thread!!
Barbat_barbarian
First post

Post by Barbat_barbarian »

Hi, I had the iTunes server running for 2 weeks then it went down. It can't be accessed through the webbrowser at the 3689 address since then.

I've been trying some stuff from this thread in SSH (which I don't know much about) and although it irks me I can't fix it I wasn't too happy with it anyway. Some has been mentioned, like it ignores artwork in the library view but it also ignores secondary ID3 info, so compilations are scattered (sorted on artist name) and it doesn's sort on last names like I tagged it or something like 不失者 is listed under F of ** (this bandname is censored or sth? :) ). So, ideally, I'd rather like to play mp3's directly from the NAS like I would play it from the HD or an external disc.

Sadly, there are also problems with that seemingly simple setup:
First there's the issue that adding music (dragging it into iTunes from the server) can take 10-15 mins or even longer. I don't 'manage' (as in copying files it to an iTunes directory). After that first one, the following additions go quicker, until I restart iTunes.
Second: playback is not smooth. Apart from occassionally long 'beach ball' times after double clicking a song there's the more annoying issue of, when playing an album, getting stuck in something like every 3rd song in bits. Usually hard to get out of too (iTunes being unresponsive). Like it can't transfer the data fast enough. Sounds like caching problems.

This was the main reason to look into that iTunes Server option which did solve the playback problem. I'd still have to read in the files directly to tag them and if I want to add it to my iPod it has to be 'in iTunes' too (and no I don't sync because that's like 1 TB of music on my NAS vs. a 16 GB iPod).
I've tried some free players but none of them read these secondary ID3 tags.

I'm on Mac OS 10.10. Firmware on QNAP up-to-date etc. and afp is activated.
foneworkshop
Starting out

Post by foneworkshop »

What would be superb is to have itunes actually running on the NAS.

I curently have my pc running just to play itunes, My shared folder is on the NAS. Both my NAS and PC are plugged into my AV Amp so I can play music outdoors when we get good enough weather to have a barby.

Now if I could do away with the PC then that would be perfect

Currently running 269pro 2*4TB Upgarding to 253+ so I can latest version of Kodi

Just a thought

Return to “Media Streaming”