QNAP NAS with iTunes

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Ron1
Know my way around

QNAP NAS with iTunes

Post by Ron1 »

Hi Guys

First of all, thank you very much for considering buying or purchasing the QNAP NAS.
I've read through all the discussion thread in this iTunes Server section.
Here are the questions that people are asking frequently.

1. How to use my iTunes with the QNAP NAS? I only want to store my music files into the NAS folder.
What should I do?

2. Why I can't sync my ipod with the iTunes Server?

3. I can't see all my files in the iTunes share list. What's going on here?

4. Where should I put my lib and the artwork for the iTunes?

5. Where are the Podcast and the iTunes store files store?

I am going to reply all these questions together in this thread and welcome everyone discuss with this thread.
Some of the features that are not supported here in Taiwan, I would be truly appreciate if someone could help to test.

1. How to use my iTunes with the QNAP NAS? I only want to store my music files into the NAS folder. What should I do?

[Ron]:
a. Open your iTunes Preference. (Take the Mac iTunes for example, the windows version are all the same)
b. Relocate your iTunes Music Folder Location to your mount volume (mapped drive).
c. Confirm enable the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copying files to iTunes music files when adding to library"
d. Add the same folder into the lib again to rescan the folder.
e. All the downloaded podcast and the iTunes store music will be in the NAS folder.

Note:
a. If you enable the recycle bin, delete the music’s in iTunes will cause whole music folder disappear. There is special handling for the iTunes program must be implemented on the NAS. We will solve this soon but currently please be aware..

b. If the mount volume or mapped drive connection lost, the iTunes music folder will set to default again. During this period, all the music file can't play and the add to lib music will be add to the default folder. Once the connection establish again. The folder will locate to the mount volume (mapped drive) again.

c. Direct attached the music files in the iTunes Music Folder. The music won't show up unless you add the folder to lib again.

d. Same folder could be share with others iTunes without any problem (we didn't test much but seems no problem now).

e. Copy the lib into the mount volume do not help anything, the lib seems will sill locate in the local computer.

2. Why I can't sync my ipod with the iTunes Server?

[Ron]:
iTunes server is the built-in function that could let you share the music with others in LAN.
It is base on the feature iTunes provide call Sharing. All the music files that put in QMultimedia will be listed in the iTuens Shared lib.
With the same Shared lib from other lib, can't syc with the iPod either. This is not the limitation of QNAP NAS but the limitation of iTunes.

Suppose everyone is buying the music from iTuens Store or we make our own CD titles into digital contecnt.
We all use the legal music files so there really no way that iTunes should provide we share the music lib to everyone in the LAN.

3. I can't see all my files in the iTunes share list. What's going on here?

[Ron]
This should be caused some strange hidden files in the folder. These files cause the abnormal scan for the iTuens server feature.
If you have such issue, please kindly contact our support and let us connect to your NAS to see which file might cause the issue and help us improve.

4. Where should I put my lib and the artwork for the iTunes?

[Ron]
There's nothing to do with the lib and artwork folder, all the files will contain in the local computer.
Even if you copy the lib or export the lib and import the lib, the file will still in the local computer folder.
It is the limitation of iTunes program.

5. Where are the Podcast and the iTunes store files store?

[Ron]
All these files from our experiment result will put into the current "iTunes Music Folder".
However, as I mentioned before. Taiwan are not listed in the iTunes music store service country so we have no chance to try these files.
Highly apprciate if some people form States or Europe could help us answer this.
If you setup the iTunes Music Folder to QNAP NAS, then all the podcast download files will be in the NAS folder.
If you didn't change the iTunes Music folder, all these files will keep contain in the local computer folder.

Thanks for your patiant to read through all these answers, if you need to discuss. Welcome for all kinds of feedback.
Last edited by Ron1 on Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rock n roll TS-409............
dpfels
Starting out

Post by dpfels »

Hi Ron,
I am really looking forward to this post. This is one of the main uses for the Qnap that I envision (I am about to buy one).
I am looking forward to your explanation.
Thanks,
Dan
Ron1
Know my way around

Post by Ron1 »

Sorry to post first and edit later, now it's the final version.

I am switching the system from Mac to Windows always.
But to tell the truth, even if you use other NAS storage. The problem is still the same.

Nothing related to the iTunes server capability (maybe some) but it's the limitation of iTunes.
Even if you use VLC, Windows media player, Winamp. Still the same issue.

Hope you could find your answer with my post.

It's Friday night here, I am going to have some fun now. See you guys later.
Cheers~
dpfels
Starting out

Post by dpfels »

Ron:
This was very helpful.
Thanks!
Dan
CJ
First post

Post by CJ »

Ron,

I have the Qnap 209 pro ver. 1.1.2 (1009T) and am running windows XP. this is only my second post to the forums so go easy on me.

On you original post this caught my attention:

b. If the mount volume or mapped drive connection lost, the iTunes music folder will set to default again. During this period, all the music file can't play and the add to lib music will be add to the default folder. Once the connection establish again. The folder will locate to the mount volume (mapped drive) again.

This is exactly what is happening to me every time my computer is rebooted. It looks like the mapped drive on my PC "Qmultimedia on Nas Server" is password protected?? once I start my PC I have to go into windows explorer >click on the mapped drive> put the Qnap username and password in the windows XP window> immediately iTunes goes from the default C; drive on my PC to the X drive on my Qnap and everything works fine. Do I have something setup wrong or can I turn off the Qnap password stuff so that this will stop doing this?? I have no idea what the real fix is but this has been my observation of things. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Ron1
Know my way around

Post by Ron1 »

Hi, CJ

Haha.. to tell the truth, I am using the Mac always so not that familiar with the windows connection.

Could any one help CJ here?

--

It's boring Friday night here. Should someone buy me a drink?
dpfels
Starting out

Post by dpfels »

Hi Ron,

Just to make sure I understand:

One computer with iTunes will maintain it's library by logging in remotely to the Qmultimedia directory. That machine will handle ripping of new disks, downloads and loading songs onto iPods. The iTunes library for this machine will reside on the Qnap and iTunes on this machine will behave as if the library is on it's local hard drive.

Other machines on the network running iTunes will see the iTunes library on the Qnap as a shared iTunes library and be able to play but not copy/sync music.

If that is the case, this is ideal, from my point of view.

Thanks,
Dan
Ron1
Know my way around

Post by Ron1 »

Dear Dan

I am not quite sure what you want. But as my understanding.

You want to put your iTunes lib (to say it correctly it's relocate the music folder into NAS folder).
And share the same music files to other computer in the LAN with "iTunes Shared"?

If this is exactly you wish to have. I would say all you have to do is.

1. Relocate your music folder into QMultimedia folder, do not put it into any other folder or personal create folder.
2. Put all your current Music files. IMPORTANT, music files not the previous iTunes lib.
3. Choose the QMultimedia folder with "add to lib" and wait until the lib scan all the music files.
4. Sync these music files when the NAS folder mount to your local computer.
5. You will find the same music playlist in "Shared" section which is automatic generated from QNAP iTunes server feature.
6. Other LAN computer could listen to the "Shared" playlist and can't copy or sync with their own iPod.

Hope you could understand my words.

--

It's 2AM here, I am going to sleep now.
Will reply your post some time in the weekend.
dpfels
Starting out

Post by dpfels »

Dear Ron,

I think you understand me exactly. I was not entirely clear on your response.

What do you mean by step 2: "music files not the previous iTunes lib"? Do you mean that the MP3's go on the server without the other files in the iTunes folder (like the iTunes XML file and the iTunes library file)? I assume those files will be regenerated when I rescan the MP3 files using the "add to lib" command.

Here is the other part that confuses me: once this is done, the computer running iTunes should recognize the QMultimedia folder as the location of all of it's iTunes music. Why is it necessary to sync the music files again after this (step 4)? I would assume from step 3 on, the computer will automatically place new music into the QMultimedia folder (as long as it is mounted on the computer running iTunes).

Did I miss something?

Thanks for all your help. I have been sold on your products based on the incredibly high quality of this web site!

Have a good night's sleep!
Dan
Ron1
Know my way around

Post by Ron1 »

Dear Dan
What do you mean by step 2: "music files not the previous iTunes lib"? Do you mean that the MP3's go on the server without the other files in the iTunes folder (like the iTunes XML file and the iTunes library file)? I assume those files will be regenerated when I rescan the MP3 files using the "add to lib" command.
People are keep trying to consider the iTunes library files need to put into the NAS.
There's nothing related about the iTunes library because this is only a xml file that record the location of all music file and some more information.
That's why I mention put the MP3 files not the iTunes library to the new location.

You could have a self experiment here without any NAS. Just simply relocate your iTunes Music Folder to a test folder you create in your local computer.
1. you remove all the files in the iTunes program.
2. relocate the iTunes Music Folder
3. Move the previous iTunes Music Folder into the new location
4. Check the iTunes program, you will find there's nothing show up in th iTunes Music Library.
5. Choose the new location folder to the "add to library" function
6. You will find the library have the songs back again.
7. Thorugh some other MP3 files into that folder again.
8. Check the library does it auto scan the new mp3s, you will find iTunes never rescan.
9. You could do some experiment on the iTunes folder library files about relocation and delete and so on. You will understand.

What you are confusing is the iTunes program use Library as the concept of playlist.
But in the file folder there's a file call iTunes Library file and the subfile name is .itl.
Our guest here also call this file Library files. It's terminology confusing.
Here is the other part that confuses me: once this is done, the computer running iTunes should recognize the QMultimedia folder as the location of all of it's iTunes music. Why is it necessary to sync the music files again after this (step 4)? I would assume from step 3 on, the computer will automatically place new music into the QMultimedia folder (as long as it is mounted on the computer running iTunes).
I also replied you this above. There's no action for the iTunes to auto scan the folder. Suppose everybody is buying the music from iTunes server so there's not necessary for they to rescan a folder that you will direct download some MP3 from p2p.
Look forward for your experiment share after you done it.

Cheers~
Markovich
Know my way around

Post by Markovich »

CJ wrote: It looks like the mapped drive on my PC "Qmultimedia on Nas Server" is password protected?? once I start my PC I have to go into windows explorer >click on the mapped drive> put the Qnap username and password in the windows XP window> immediately iTunes goes from the default C; drive on my PC to the X drive on my Qnap and everything works fine. Do I have something setup wrong or can I turn off the Qnap password stuff so that this will stop doing this??
When you map the network share to a drive letter in Windows, Windows should have offered to "reconnect at log-on?". This should be enabled, and with the correct user/password set, always then automatically reconnect.

If this is not occurring for you, try deleting the current drive mapping and re-creating it from scratch.

- NAS 1 : TS-409Pro / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 4 x Samsung 500GB
- NAS 2 : TS-109 / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 1 x Samsung 2TB
- LAN : Draytek 2820Vn, Billion 7404VGO-M, Linksys SPA-3102, Asus WL-500g Premium
- AV : AC Ryan PlayOn!HD 2TB / Topfield TRF-2460 1TB / Samsung PS50C7000 / Yamaha RV-1065
dpfels
Starting out

Post by dpfels »

QNAPRon wrote: I also replied you this above. There's no action for the iTunes to auto scan the folder. Suppose everybody is buying the music from iTunes server so there's not necessary for they to rescan a folder that you will direct download some MP3 from p2p.
Hi Ron,
Here is where I think we are talking about something different. I completely understood the first part, as it turns out. For the section above however, it appears as if you are describing how to handle multiple users ripping and downloading to the same directory on the Qnas. In that case, it will be necessary for each user to rescan ("sync") with that directory each time they connect to make sure that they know what's in the library.
In my case, I was suggesting that one machine maintain the library and the others only connect through the Qnas media server. In that case, the PC or Mac that is downloading will not need to rescan or sync as long as it maintains its connection with the Qnas.

Thanks!
Dan
Franner
Starting out

Post by Franner »

I can't get this:

In the "2. Why I can't sync my ipod with the iTunes Server?"-question, we are been told, that our Ipod can't syncronize with music on QNAPs Qmultimedia-folder.

But this link: http://www.qnap.com/images/products/App ... 09AP03.htm

tell us something else: I'll quote: "Also, you can select the music files on Turbo Station and export to your iPod."

How does these things connect!!?? :?

And last but not less: I can't figure out how to make my Qnap 209Pro serve as a Itune-server for my Itune-client on my PC. There's something miserable in the information on how to do this. Take a tour on your forum to see the many questions in the same matter.
GhostWorks
Know my way around

Re: QNAP NAS with iTunes

Post by GhostWorks »

Just a Quick Post to ask something simple just incase it will mess things up, basically i've followed the instructions [ Mapped Qmultimedia which was empty at the time , and was told not to create any folder to map the music folder in iTunes to the Mapped drive and now I consolidated the Music Library which is currently moving the music to the mapped drive , everything is fine so far except itunes didn't place the music under a Parent Folder { iTunes Music ] so all music is in so many folders organised in artists etc directly on the qmultimedia , i was hoping to have three folders under Qmultimedia's root folder/Drive { Photos , iTunes Music, Videos }

Will it be ok once music is moved to create such a folder and cut n' paste all the music to the new folder and adjust itunes mapped drive accordanly etc

JesperBroberg
New here

Re: QNAP NAS with iTunes

Post by JesperBroberg »

Hi there :-)

I'm fairly new to Qnap and have not been using iTunes previously... Now I'm however looking for some functionality which I was hoping to get with iTunes, could someone please verify or dismis if the following is possible:

1. On the Qnap all my music is stored in my own folders, e.g. "QMultimedia/Albums/A/Aerosmith - ?" or "QMultimedia/Classical". These folder should be accessible from within iTunes WITHOUT copying the entire content (at the moment approx. 200 GB).

2. With all the music stored on my Qnap and the iTunes server service activated. I would like to be able to access my music via an iPod Touch. Allowing me to scroll through music, see covers of my cds etc.

3. When I select an album or song to play, it will be played via Airport Express (optical output) and through my stereo.

4. If on the road and I have a WiFi connection and my iPod Touch with me, I'll be able to access my music stored on the Qnap at home.

Is the above at all possible or am I just dreaming of an ideal setup??

Thank you for your help :-)

/Jesper

Return to “Media Streaming”