Two step verify- does not send to phone

iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android
triples@aol.com
New here

Two step verify- does not send to phone

Post by triples@aol.com »

Set up two step verify on qnap. When logging in within home network from new device, a verify number is sent to my cell but does not go thru. To make it work, have to request an email, then it works.
Now trying access through qnapcloud from my phone and got to the step where code sent back to my phone but never arrived and cannot access drive as part of two step verify.
Anyone else experiencing this??
Ps- the correct phone number is in the drive.
Hmmm.... perplexed
OneCD
Guru

Re: Two step verify- does not send to phone

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

When asking a question, please remember to include your NAS firmware version and build number.
triples@aol.com wrote:When logging in within home network from new device, a verify number is sent to my cell but does not go thru.
Note: a phone number is not needed and a code is not 'sent' to your phone on each login attempt.

QNAP's 2-step verification process makes use of the Google 'Authenticator' app (on iOS and Android) that continuously generates new codes - each only valid for a few seconds - same idea as those portable security tokens:
Time is a factor, so it's important your NAS and phone are automatically updating their system times.

Have you installed the Google 'Authenticator' app on your phone?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
pablobasito
Starting out

Post by pablobasito »

I have the same problem. I try to login with my Qfile, but when I connect, it asks me for a "2 step verification", and in the same screen, it shows me my cell number, and a "Send" button. When I hit it, a cowntdown number goes from 60 to 0. In that time, I receive no sms at all.
Of course, I have the Authenticator app in my phone, but if I try to put the 6 digit number I get from it, it says it's wrong. (yes, I put it very fast, I know I have limited time to do it).
I really need help about that. Thanks in advance.
EDIT: my NAS is a 453 Pro, with beta 4.3.4 firmware (if memory serves me well), however I think the problem could be in the android app (or in my settings??) not in the NAS.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

pablobasito wrote:I have the same problem. I try to login with my Qfile, but when I connect, it asks me for a "2 step verification", and in the same screen, it shows me my cell number, and a "Send" button. When I hit it, a cowntdown number goes from 60 to 0. In that time, I receive no sms at all.
This doesn't sound like the 2-step verification process. SMS isn't used. Are you using the correct QNAP Qfile app? Or a 3rd-party app?

Here's how to set this up:
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... sing-qfile

The relevant section is titled "How to use 2-step verification to log in to a NAS using Qfile"

Suggest you contact QNAP for assistance.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
pablobasito
Starting out

Post by pablobasito »

I did it. I keep you informed, if I have news.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pablobasito
Starting out

Post by pablobasito »

I added the screenshots in the previous post. The order is reversed.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

I've just finished confirming the required steps. I had to pull my old Android tablet out of storage and charge it up overnight. ;)

All worked OK.

What I did:
  1. Installed the Google Authenticator app in Android,
  2. Enabled 2-step verification on my older NAS (running QTS 4.2.6),
  3. Entered the code generated by QTS into the Authenticator App to "pair" the app with the NAS,
  4. Then logged in via Qfile. My Qfile Android app already has my preferred QTS account username and password entered, so I launched the Authenticator app again, viewed the current code, entered this into the required field on the Qfile login screen, clicked 'login', and done!

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

About the expired QID, I'd suggest to login on https://myQNAPcloud.com/ from a Web browser. Not sure what can cause the expiration.
pablobasito
Starting out

Post by pablobasito »

Even when I try from a PC (windows 10, tried on different browsers), I get the same kind of windows (see attachments), and of course the SMS thing isn't working.
The only difference is that from the PC browser I can select "choose another method etc. etc." (see one of the attachment), and there I find "Email". So, the website sends me an email with a 6digit code that works, so I can complete the 2step verification, and I can access to myqnapcloud.

EDITED NOTE: while I'm inside, I double checked my settings, and I tried to insert my cellphone number again. As you can see from the attachment, the system try to send me an sms for confirmation of my cell number, BUT I don't receive it.

EDIT: when I complete that phase, I'm inside the "standard" myqnapcloud window, where it asks me for my NAS username and password. And after I input them, it asks me for ANOTHER verification... this time with the Authenticator. That 2nd verification works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pablobasito
Starting out

Post by pablobasito »

Well, I contact them, and they resolved the problem, after a couple of emails. Probably an issue with their SMS sending system.

Return to “Mobile Devices”