Alternative to DropBox

iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android
mgreenej
New here

Alternative to DropBox

Post by mgreenej »

I'm trying to assess whether I can implement an alternative to DropBox/OneDrive for our small business, using the QNAP services. We have a QNAP TS-419P running the latest firmware.

The issue/question I have is that our primary use is through iOS devices (both iPhones and iPads running the latest releases) and Samsung Galaxy S8's obviously running Android.

Finally (it has taken a long time) but it seems most of our daily-use apps are supporting either retrieving files or saving files out to DropBox or OneDrive. But I don't see the QNAP service available. (On my iPhone/iPad for example with DROPBOX I can usually just choose SAVE TO DROPBOX from my SHARE ACTIVITIES menu, or on some apps (like Microsoft Office) I have to add a place, provide credentials to access, etc. for the first access, and then the app will have that place available in the future.)

Is this possible/enabled? Is there something I need to enable to make this appear on the IOS and Android devices?

Unfortunately without integrated access to and from our smartphones and their apps, then I'll need to stick with DropBox or OneDrive, since those are the primary devices that use this space...

Thanks in advance!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Alternative to DropBox

Post by dolbyman »

asked many times before .. don't do it

don't expose your (not web hardened) NAS to the internet, as it will be the subject to hacking attacks ... plenty of threads in here where QNAP users got compromised units from web exposure

also your 10 year old 419p+ is EOL ('security fixes' till end of 2020)
mgreenej
New here

Post by mgreenej »

Thanks!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

in qts 4.4.1 they added a app called cache mount (which is a replacement to the Connect to Cloud Drive
app)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXY0cNndZ2w

anyway, cache mount can then add your dropbox, onedrive etc to be mounted to filestation.

in qnap mobile apps there should be a filestation app. so i believe that you can then access your cloud space from there?

the cachemount by the way has a cache feature you can opt to use or not. from what i understand, it will cache the cloud to your nas, to make access faster :' but it uses up storage space to achieve this afaik.

is that what you wanted to know?

also yes you should probably update to a newer model so you get the latest qts, and retain your firmware/security updates. you're going eol soon ^^; should plan for that.

PS: another method for adding cloud storage i've seen in qts is in hybridbackup sync (which is qnaps native backup app). but the intended purpose for this is for usage in HBS to do backups/restore/sync. Not really for file access etc (which the cachemount app is better suited for).
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Mobile Devices”