Accessing your QNAP with an Android phone

iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android
crushdepth
Getting the hang of things

Accessing your QNAP with an Android phone

Post by crushdepth »

I just set up remote access to my QNAP via an SFTP client on my Nexus One phone. Thought it might be of interest to other people, so here's how:

ROUTER CONFIG

* Set up a dynamic hostname for my home router, using the DynDNS service (most routers support this or similar services). I suppose you could also use the built in DDNS function in the QNAP directly, but since I only want to expose the SSH service (and nothing else), I prefer to pass incoming traffic through the router/firewall where it is more easily filtered/controlled.

* I set up port forwarding on the router. I used a random high port number (to reduce the amount of port scans and brute force attacks) to forward through to the SSH port on my QNAP, inside the LAN.

* Of course, you must have a strong random SSH password on your QNAP otherwise you are committing suicide.

ANDROID PHONE CONFIG

* Install the excellent Astro File Manager app from the Android store. Also install the separate Samba and Bluetooth modules, as these greatly improve the networking capability of your phone.

* In Astro, go to the 'network' icon and add a new connection. Choose SFTP (FTP over SSH).

* Add your router's hostname in the server box, the port number you are using to forward SSH traffic, your user name and your password and the default directory you want to use, eg /share.

* Click test to try it out, if successful, click save to record the connection.

That's it. Now you can access your QNAP files from anywhere over a secure connection. Works best over WIFI, you may get timeouts if your EDGE connection is a bit slow, or if your QNAPs disks need to be spun up. The only downer - unfortunately Astro does not support key-based authentication at this time. But if you use a strong (random) password it shouldn't matter. Please do not try this with some pitifully weak password because you will certainly get your fingers burned if you do.

NOTEBOOK/DESKTOP CONFIG

By the way, you can also use this setup to access your QNAP remotely over SFTP from a notebook or desktop. Just use an FTP client that supports SFTP connections (eg Filezilla). Kind of a poor man's VPN.
petur

Re: Accessing your QNAP with an Android phone

Post by petur »

Thanks for this nice & simple guide, I've made it sticky ;)

I can add that for desktop systems, you have the following options:

Windows: WinSCP (GUI file access), putty (commandline SSH), PortForwarder (forwarding ports, for example to take over the web GUI, or use the SSH connection as a tunnel into your network at home)

Linux: Most distro's handle SSH and SCP (SFTP) out of the box. I find GSTM (gnome ssh tunnel manager) a nice tool to handle port forwarding.
Praat je liever over QNAP in het Nederlands?
Liever een community bij jou in de buurt?

Kom naar QNAPclub België/Nederland
joseabdul
New here

Post by joseabdul »

hi , i have installed the astro file managar, but the profile creation dont support sftp, but only ftp....

Where is the Sftp option?
and... the samba module is not avaiable within the android market.

Thanks you..
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

joseabdul wrote:Where is the Sftp option?
Slide the function icons of ASTRO to the left. The last icon on the right side is "Networks". Click on "Networks"and you see "New" and a WLAN-Icon, select "New". A pop-up shows "Add connection" and offers sftp and smb.
joseabdul wrote:and... the samba module is not avaiable within the android market.
Suspect a requirments limitation - Android version, display size, ... What mobile device and version have you running?
e.pastore
Getting the hang of things

Post by e.pastore »

Try AndFTP. FTP, FTPS, SCP, SFTP protocols are supported!
I use Astro SMB module when I'm connected to my lan. I use AndFTP when I'm on the go (with FTPeS protocol active).
Cheers
amejohns68
First post

Post by amejohns68 »

Thanks for this post, I was looking everywhere on this forum to find it, Awesome! I'm very happy now and accessing QNAP on my Android really makes life easier. Cheers
hong22
First post

Post by hong22 »

Hi crushdepth

Thank you very much. I have downloaded your guide, professionally written. First I have used "Poor man's VPN" and installed access to QNAP from my desktop. After using it for some time I had the "courage" and installed rsnapshot pack. It went nice and easy as you said.
Thanks again.
sansam
New here

Post by sansam »

Thanks for share....
jiufanglong
Starting out

Post by jiufanglong »

the function is perfectly.
I like QNAP's nas
Tasoik
Know my way around

Post by Tasoik »

Forget Astro

The new "hot" file explorer is this:
https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... lkLnBvcCJd

You can stream videos etc by simply click the desired file (just like PC). Astro DOES NOT DO that.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Yes, ES File Explorer is great - works smoothly with the NAS, including accessing the shares using SMB mounts on the LAN. Does not require a rooted device, and woks with Android 4 aka. ICS (Galaxy Nexus 4.0.2 here).
chan005
New here

Post by chan005 »

Thanks for the guide. I have been using AndFTP and it works fine.

Just a question about using Web File Manager on mobile browsers. I can login and access the web file manager. A little wacky with using pinch zoom on mobile browsers but expected. But I seem to have problem when I hit the download icon. Nothing happens. All the other icons seem to works, only the download. Tried it with Android stock client, Dolphin, Safari on iPad, all has the same problem.

Is this a known problem? I searched but can't find any topic on it.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

chan005 wrote:Just a question about using Web File Manager on mobile browsers. I can login and access the web file manager. A little wacky with using pinch zoom on mobile browsers but expected.
On the current Chrome Beta (on Android 4.0.4) the view is limited to the display size - it's possible to scroll, but the view size and position does not extend or change - petty much useless.
chan005 wrote:But I seem to have problem when I hit the download icon. Nothing happens. All the other icons seem to works, only the download. Tried it with Android stock client, Dolphin, Safari on iPad, all has the same problem.
In this constelletaion, the downloads work as expected. When attempting to download ie. a ZIP archive, Android is asking if the user really want to download multiple files.
DarrenChin
New here

Post by DarrenChin »

anyone can teach to settting with ES File Explorer on Galaxy S3 / Samsung Tablet?

using TS - 269 Pro
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

On the (W)LAN or over the Internet?

On the (W)LAN it's rather easy: On the top-left (default on "local") select LAN ... and you should see the NAS listed. To enter user credentials (username/password) press-and-hold the entry to -> Edit server. Untick "Anonymous", and enter your username and password instead. Ok - and you can browse all NAS share(s) the user has access to.

Return to “Mobile Devices”