Connected Remote iSCSI LUNs Unavailable for Use

iSCSI related applications
DarfNader
Know my way around

Connected Remote iSCSI LUNs Unavailable for Use

Post by DarfNader »

storageman wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:00 pm Not so sure why your so hung up about using LUNs, Qnap's bread and butter is shares. 95%+ buy Qnap/Syno for shares.
I should have just been concise about mounting the remote share. Did you mean just put an entry in fstab? I was only concerned that with QNAP's tight management of volumes there might be unpleasant side effects. If you know that not to be so, that it's surely worth a try.

You asked what if I had used iSCSI Remote Disk to mount the LUN and I confirmed that I had. I was never trying to use my QNAP as a SAN. I was just thought a mounted LUN would more likely be treated like raw storage. When I abandoned iSCSI I was more interested in your suggestion about remote shares.

Now I am still vacillating between mirroring snapshots vs traditional file backups, so I might just try both. Restoring from snapshot is quite efficient, but if my QNAP died permanently I would just want to access my backed-up files.

Thanks for taking the time to make that walk through.
"Everything I know I've learned from eating the brains of other people." - anon.

TVS-473
• FW v 4.6.3.0883 build 20190316
• 32 GB RAM
• 4 x 6TB SATA , RAID 5
• 2 x 1 TB m2.SSD, RAID 1 (QTier)
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Connected Remote iSCSI LUNs Unavailable for Use

Post by storageman »

Can remote shares be used by HBS RTRR? I didn't think so unless someone else knows otherwise.
I showed you how to use a remote disk for HBS RTRR, I think I'll leave it there.
Snapshots slow performance, if performance is important to you don't use them.
DarfNader
Know my way around

Re: Connected Remote iSCSI LUNs Unavailable for Use

Post by DarfNader »

storageman wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:10 pm Can remote shares be used by HBS RTRR? I didn't think so unless someone else knows otherwise.
I showed you how to use a remote disk for HBS RTRR, I think I'll leave it there.
Snapshots slow performance, if performance is important to you don't use them.
From what I found, I don't think shares can be like LUNs. I guess I will see how it does using what you suggested over time.

Meanwhile, backups of files to USB disks since like a a wise choice. Until I get something a little more sophisticated. I wish you could "knit" USB drives into some sort of LV as that would make the process easier even if it is more risky.

Again, thanks. You've helped more than I could have ever hoped on this.
"Everything I know I've learned from eating the brains of other people." - anon.

TVS-473
• FW v 4.6.3.0883 build 20190316
• 32 GB RAM
• 4 x 6TB SATA , RAID 5
• 2 x 1 TB m2.SSD, RAID 1 (QTier)

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”