LUN Backup to SMBv3

iSCSI related applications
SouthernSI
First post

LUN Backup to SMBv3

Post by SouthernSI »

Hi QNAP forum folks,

this is my first post, since I could find little to none documentation about what I am looking for:
We run a Fujitsu branded QNAP TS-x51 providing iSCSI targets for our MS Windows Serer environment. That works seamless for quite some time now.
The LUNs are backed up each night to another storage NAS (not QNAP), which provides a destination via SMB.
Now this storage had to be replaced and now offers SMBv2 and SMBv3 capabilities (by default).
How can I tell the LUN Backup job to ue SMB higher than vers=1, please?

It appears the config file /etc/lunporter/lunporter.conf is the "responsible" config file, but there's no documentation anywhere to be found for lunporter as such.

Any ideas how to get the LUN Backup use SMBv3 (or SMBv2 at least)?

Cheers,
Stefan
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: LUN Backup to SMBv3

Post by FSC830 »

My guess: you cant do that :cry: .
Me too running some Celvins (Fujitsu name for OEM TS-xxx), but I do not use a LUN backup. I did this once for testing, but for a 2TB LUN ist lasts awful long, about 30hours and LUN is offline in that time.
Anyhow there is no important data in this LUN, so I decide to use another backup solution (copying the files via host to another media).
But it seems, that SMB version in QNAP apps cant be modified - in opposite to the SMB server service.
Did check this myself some few weeks ago when someone complained that i.e. Hybrid Mount was not able to mount a remote share without SMBv1 (at remote site SMBv1 was disabled).
Only enabling SMBv1 at remote site allows Hybrid Mount to connect and mount the share - shame on QNAP for such low security.

Regards

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”