data loss after shutdown/reboot

iSCSI related applications
FSC830
Experience counts

data loss after shutdown/reboot

Post by FSC830 »

This week I noticed a very strange issue at my TS473-A, QTS 5.0.1.2277.
Actually I do not know since when the issue exists, but it is reproduceable at every time!

Since using this NAS an iSCSI LUN is connected to a Windows 10 PC, from time to time another LUN is connected to a Linux (Ubuntu 20.4).
The NAS uses a power schedule for daily start up/shutdown.

Today I noticed that data, I copied yesterday to the Windows iSCSI LUN, was disappeared!?
Old data, which was copied months ago, is still present. So I did some tests and I am shocked: every data copied to the iSCSI LUN is gone after NAS reboots!
This affects only the LUN for Windows. There is another iSCSI LUN from an older NAS with QTS 4.3.4 mapped to same Windows host, this NAS too reboots daily.
At this LUN no data was lost, so its clearly an issue at QTS 5.0.1.xxxx.
The LUN for Ubuntu too is not affected, all data remains after reboot.

Even reverting to a previous taken snapshot does not recover the data. A NAS, which removes data is unusable.
The attached screenshot shows directory before (left) and after (right) reboot of NAS (sorry for German Ui at Windows).
The view was cached in Windows file explorer, clearly seen, the files/directory VMware and subtree are gone.

A ticket to QNAP support is created, looking forwardf, for an answer...

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: data loss after shutdown/reboot

Post by Toxic17 »

Ouch....

Maybe QNAP will add this issue to the 3 other Known LUN issues with 5.0.1 firmware:

Code: Select all

SnapSync jobs for LUNs may fail after users edit LUN names.
After users edit LUN settings and run a Snapshot Replica job, the destination NAS cannot correctly display LUN information in Snapshot Vault.
Storage & Snapshots and iSCSI & Fibre Channel sometimes display different sizes of the same LUN after users revert a LUN by importing a snapshot.
sounds like iSCSI is unstable.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

At least in combination with Windows it seems very unreliable. Its a very strange issue. At first I thought I did a mistake on Wednesday when copying the files to the LUN.
But when this morning after starting a second time all data was missed, I become leery against the NAS.

To be honest I expected that the data of the Linux LUN disappears too, but no, it survives two reboots and a shutdown. The Windows data not.
Glad, that I do use NAS only for testing...

Regards
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

If it is only a test system, but you want the functionality, you could potentially roll back to a different stream of it is available for your unit. I'm very happy staying on the firmware 4.5.4 stream with mine, as long as I can, as it is the only stable one IMO.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Just seen. No, I stay at the version. 8) Because it is a test system, I will test if a future update will fix it. :)
Really weird issue.

Regards
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

This morning I have had a remote session with QNAP support (which was a really good one!) it is suspected, that the issue was caused by a firmware bug.
As written above, I did not checked always write access after an update, so it could not pinpointed in which release this error occured. But at least after some reboots during this session no data was "gone".
Anyhow, I will keep an eye at this and check read/write by future updates.

Regards

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”