iSCSI related applications
PietM
New here

RAID expanded/ incorrect volume size in OS

Post by PietM »

Good morning,
I inherited a setup as follows
Model name: TS-832PX
Firmware version and Build Number: QTS 5.0.1.2277 (2023/01/12)
Operation System (OS): Server 2012 R2
OS Language: English
Number of HDDs: 8
HDD model: Seagate
HDD capacity: 8TB
RAID configuration: RAID1
  • Setup had 5 disks installed (bays 4-8)
    3 New identical drives installed bays 1-3
    Storage was expanded and shows correctly as 50TB
    Storage Pool 1, Volume 1 LUN 1 (Block-based Thick LUN)
    Connected to Server 2012 R2 iSCSI connector.
The issue is that in Disk Management it shows as 28TB volume with unused free space. If I try to expand this, it tries to convert it to Dynamic disks, which I would like to avoid. and not just expand.
I'm obviously missing something and assume it might be as simple as disconnecting the iSCSI connection and redoing it but not sure if that will break something else.

I have two of these units used for ArcServe backup, one needs to go back to the data centre,
Any pointers?

Thanks, Piet
Don
Guru

Re: RAID expanded/ incorrect volume size in OS

Post by Don »

Hard to tell without screen shots. Also I doubt it is raid 1.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
PietM
New here

Post by PietM »

Hi Don,

Indeed you are correct. It is RAID 5. Have no idea why I said RAID1. Attached screenshots of the QNAP setup and Disk Management.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PietM
New here

Post by PietM »

Just some additional info.
QNAP Storage.png
and the
QNAP iSCSI Target.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You have to grow your block storage device filesystem..but that is not a QNAP issue

Check for Windows Guides (if Windows tools cannot help, you might need 3rd party ones)
PietM
New here

Post by PietM »

Thanks Dolbyman,

My assumption was that I would need to change it from the Server side. This brings me to the next part. Since I can still access the data via the mapped drive on the server I assume that the QNAP RAID expansion process worked as it should.
Next question would be that if I redo the iSCSI connection, make the server forget the connection and reconnect, what is the risk of loosing the data on the QNAP storage? I'm not familiar with the iSCSI setup so will need to do some digging.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The block storage will stay the block storage ... reconnecting this will have no effect, you need to grow your virtual disk volume.

But as always, nothing will replace backups of your storage, backup your ISCSI contents (not from the NAS but from a client, in the case of ISCSI) regularly

see if this works
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/troub ... ata-volume
PietM
New here

Post by PietM »

Good morning,

After some digging found that the original setup on the QNAP had cluster size set at 8192. This would limit the total to 32TB.
Process as follow.. create a new volume in the expanded storage. Copy the 16TB of data to the new volume. This is all on the same QNAP.
Once data is relocated, I will format the original partition with 16k clusters. Move the data back and then expand.

Will have to do the same on the other QNAP.

I have yet to find a way, if possible to use a tool like File Station to connect to the LUN and do the transfer there instead of the Server.

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”