TS-563- Unable to get iscsi to work.

iSCSI related applications
arch113
Starting out

Re: TS-563- Unable to get iscsi to work.

Post by arch113 »

storageman wrote:On that box NFS.
Because of the problems I'm having or something about the model I have?
arch113
Starting out

Post by arch113 »

I figured out the problem and feel like such a dumbass for not remembering this setting.
Under Control Panel/Security/Security Level  Allow Connection from list only was selected and the private 10gig link ip's was not listed, selecting Allow all got it to work (I'm sure putting the 10gig ip's will too).
Reason the 10gig wasn't set in there is, I got the NAS before the 10 gig card, once I installed the 10gig, I forgot to go back into security and update the settings.
arch113
Starting out

Post by arch113 »

arch113 wrote:
storageman wrote:On that box NFS.
Because of the problems I'm having or something about the model I have?
Or is it because its flaky as heck? ESXi keep loosing connection, I can get it back briefly by disabling/enabling the iscsi service on QNAP.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

arch113 wrote:I figured out the problem and feel like such a dumbass for not remembering this setting.
Under Control Panel/Security/Security Level  Allow Connection from list only was selected and the private 10gig link ip's was not listed, selecting Allow all got it to work (I'm sure putting the 10gig ip's will too).
Reason the 10gig wasn't set in there is, I got the NAS before the 10 gig card, once I installed the 10gig, I forgot to go back into security and update the settings.
Good you've sorted
My view if it's for VMs ISCSI for performance, for datastores NFS gives more flexibility, and yes ISCSI is a little flakey as on Syno.
Generally I think is because latency is higher than SANs and causing timeouts. But each environment is different.
arch113
Starting out

Post by arch113 »

storageman wrote:
arch113 wrote:I figured out the problem and feel like such a dumbass for not remembering this setting.
Good you've sorted
My view if it's for VMs ISCSI for performance, for datastores NFS gives more flexibility, and yes ISCSI is a little flakey as on Syno.
Generally I think is because latency is higher than SANs and causing timeouts. But each environment is different.
Now the problem I'm having is the connection keeps dropping out. ESXi will lose connection to iscsi lun (they also cant ping each other when this happens), I can usually get it back by going on the QNAP and just hit Apply to the settings (where you turn on/off and configure the iscsi port), once this is done, they can ping each other and the lun works again, for a bit. I have no idea why its dropping out (it will drop out even in the middle of coping to the attached datastore). CPU usage isn't high, neither is memory usage.
arch113
Starting out

Post by arch113 »

Switched from iscsi to nfs for my esxi datastore, and everything looked great last night, no hiccups. This morning I check it and the datastore is disconnected and I cant ping the NAS via the 10gig link despite both ends saying connected). Had to reboot the NAS to get the link to come back.

Anyone have any ideas why my 10gig link keeps dropping out?

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”