iSCSI Target on TVS-871T

iSCSI related applications
jldodge
New here

iSCSI Target on TVS-871T

Post by jldodge »

I am new to QNAP after using Thecus in past years. I have setup the iSCSI with IP 192.168.0.160 static address. I have 8 8GB Seagate drives. On the Storage Space, Storage Pool 1 is ready with 43.6TB of space (Raid6). In Storage Manager, Sys Reserve is 2TB and Thick LUN is 1GB with 41.2TB listed as free space (grey). iSCSI Initiator indicates that I am connected to the QNAP, however Disk Management does not show the disk. Therefore, I cannot access the disk. Can someone help me on this? While I am not a novice, I am also not an expert on networking so would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance ...
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Re: iSCSI Target on TVS-871T

Post by razormoon »

jldodge wrote:I am new to QNAP after using Thecus in past years. I have setup the iSCSI with IP 192.168.0.160 static address. I have 8 8GB Seagate drives. On the Storage Space, Storage Pool 1 is ready with 43.6TB of space (Raid6). In Storage Manager, Sys Reserve is 2TB and Thick LUN is 1GB with 41.2TB listed as free space (grey). iSCSI Initiator indicates that I am connected to the QNAP, however Disk Management does not show the disk. Therefore, I cannot access the disk. Can someone help me on this? While I am not a novice, I am also not an expert on networking so would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance ...
Would you mind posting a screencap of Storage Manager >> Storage Space with iSCSI volume expanded?
Also one of Storage Manager >> iSCSI Storage with alias expanded.

Most of the info you've provided does not help at all.
QTS version and build number.
What OS are you initiating from.
Is the initiator on a VM.
:!: TVS-871-i7-16G 5.0.0.1932 Build 20220129, KODI, WSE 2019
:?: 1 x KINGSTON SNV325S2 as 2mb block cache, WDC WD40EFRX as RAID5, 1 x WDC WD40EFRX as iSCSI
:idea: APC PRO 1500 S
:-0 WIKI SUPPORT

"Nothing is impossible. Only expensive, illegal or both."
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

jldodge wrote:I am new to QNAP after using Thecus in past years. I have setup the iSCSI with IP 192.168.0.160 static address. I have 8 8GB Seagate drives. On the Storage Space, Storage Pool 1 is ready with 43.6TB of space (Raid6). In Storage Manager, Sys Reserve is 2TB and Thick LUN is 1GB with 41.2TB listed as free space (grey). iSCSI Initiator indicates that I am connected to the QNAP, however Disk Management does not show the disk. Therefore, I cannot access the disk. Can someone help me on this? While I am not a novice, I am also not an expert on networking so would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance ...
Did you create the target/LUN or just the LUN?
jldodge
New here

Post by jldodge »

Attached are the screen shots ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Post by razormoon »

jldodge wrote:Attached are the screen shots ...
Yeah...you'd have to create as "iSCSI Target with a mapped LUN".
When asked, you must set the size manually along with instant allocation (or go the mysterious route with thin provisioning).
It looks as if you either did not do both target and LUN or set as thin.

and looking at your pics...I don't see a LUN.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:?: 1 x KINGSTON SNV325S2 as 2mb block cache, WDC WD40EFRX as RAID5, 1 x WDC WD40EFRX as iSCSI

jldodge
New here

Post by jldodge »

I skipped the LUN and used thin provisioning. Do I need to restore the default settings and start over?
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Post by razormoon »

Well...being there really is no iSCSI it won't really be starting over. :DD

jldodge
New here

Post by jldodge »

My apologies, and I understand it's not completely starting over BUT it sounds like to have an iSCSI drive, I need to restore the defaults and select the LUN option. With RAID6, my understanding is that I can make the LUN as small as possible, i.e. 5% vs. 20%, to preserve as much space for the iSCSI as possible. Does that make sense?
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Post by razormoon »

jldodge wrote:My apologies, and I understand it's not completely starting over BUT it sounds like to have an iSCSI drive, I need to restore the defaults and select the LUN option. With RAID6, my understanding is that I can make the LUN as small as possible, i.e. 5% vs. 20%, to preserve as much space for the iSCSI as possible. Does that make sense?
Absolutely.
Start over.

For me:
  • Step 1: iSCSI Target with mapped LUN
    Step 3: Enabled Clustering (no settings in CRC/Checksum)
    Step 4: No CHAP
    Step 5: Allocate space from a storage pool (this allows block-level iSCSI, which is preferred)
    Step 8: Instant Allocation with Capacity 'Set to Max' (your mileage may vary). Advanced Settings: 4K Sector, Report volatile and FUA bit all enabled.
And this is just FYI and how I have mine set up and working.

Being that you have so much space unallocated (the gray portion of bar in your pic) you're free to create an iSCSI as big as the unallocated space and as block-level.
Your choice.

razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Post by razormoon »

jldodge wrote:My apologies, and I understand it's not completely starting over BUT it sounds like to have an iSCSI drive, I need to restore the defaults and select the LUN option. With RAID6, my understanding is that I can make the LUN as small as possible, i.e. 5% vs. 20%, to preserve as much space for the iSCSI as possible. Does that make sense?
Absolutely.
Start over.

"The LUN" Do you mean snapshot? Yes. You can make it small. I have it disabled. Never worked properly on my system.

For me:
  • Step 1: iSCSI Target with mapped LUN
    Step 3: Enabled Clustering (no settings in CRC/Checksum)
    Step 4: No CHAP
    Step 5: Allocate space from a storage pool (this allows block-level iSCSI, which is preferred)
    Step 8: Instant Allocation with Capacity 'Set to Max' (your mileage may vary). Advanced Settings: 4K Sector, Report volatile and FUA bit all enabled.
And this is just FYI and how I have mine set up and working.

Being that you have so much space unallocated (the gray portion of bar in your pic) you're free to create an iSCSI as big as the unallocated space and as block-level.
Your choice.

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”