Unable to get ISCSI working

iSCSI related applications
DorifitoX
New here

Unable to get ISCSI working

Post by DorifitoX »

Hello!

So I recently deployed ISCSI on my QNAP TS-451, and I am having an issue connecting. When I look at the iSCSI list it shows the connector, but the initiator IP is set to -

I can't seem to get it up and running, when I pull up the IP of the NAS in my windows machine, it says that no such initiator exists... Any thoughts on this? Attached are the screen shots:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Unable to get ISCSI working

Post by storageman »

Sounds like you just created the LUN, go back and add the target.
DorifitoX
New here

Post by DorifitoX »

It says I have a target:

iqn.2004-04.com.qnap:ts-451:iscsi.girindustriesnas.02cde7

Is that not a ISCSI initiator target?
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

DorifitoX wrote:It says I have a target:

iqn.2004-04.com.qnap:ts-451:iscsi.girindustriesnas.02cde7

Is that not a ISCSI initiator target?
It is.
Stupid question,is the ISCSI service switched on?
Try creating another LUN/target combination.
DorifitoX
New here

Post by DorifitoX »

The service appears to be on, I tried to delete and recreate both the LUN and the initiator... I was able to get it going a month ago but was hitting some weird interrupt issues on my local machine so I turned it off for the time being. After that I deployed a virtual switch to play around with the capabilities of virtualizing on the system. (I upgrade the RAM from 1GB to 8) Do you think that could have anything to do with it? I also turned off the virtual switch so both the NICs should have a good connection to the network, but I figured I'd bring that up since it appears to be a networking issue.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Also check "service binding", these can be used to disable the iscsi ports the service runs on.
Check you can ping NAS open port from host is another check.
DorifitoX
New here

Post by DorifitoX »

Not sure what happened, but it is working now after a complete delete and re-add, interestingly I am finding that I can't change it back to the default 3260, I changed it to 3262 as a troubleshooting step, but it won't change back. Either way it is working!
DRUMDUSESAN
New here

Post by DRUMDUSESAN »

I am having the same problem. Does yours show the IP Initiator IP address now after you rebuilt?
"When I look at the iSCSI list it shows the connector, but the initiator IP is set to - "

Thanks
Jeff
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

DRUMDUSESAN wrote:I am having the same problem. Does yours show the IP Initiator IP address now after you rebuilt?
"When I look at the iSCSI list it shows the connector, but the initiator IP is set to - "

Thanks
Jeff
Vague, Where do you mean? Screenshot would help!
You know the difference between LUN and target, right?
No Target no initiator IP.
DRUMDUSESAN
New here

Post by DRUMDUSESAN »

Hi,
Attached are the QNAP NICs IPs, the iSCSI showing no IP Initiator and a VMkPing test from ESXi to QNAP 10.x.x.x NIC ports.
re: the same initial post as the first guy.
Thanks
Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Can you go into Service Binding and check the ISCSI service is ticked for the ports you want to use.
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... ore-secure
DRUMDUSESAN
New here

Post by DRUMDUSESAN »

I just re-create as well. QNAP was confused by the dual-network. This was a problem with the service binding at some juncture during Quickstart is my guess. In where you enable iSCSI on the management port but the other ports are not assigned yet.
I re-create my iSCSI and all is well. ( That means I deleted the LUNs and all iSCSI information in QNAP and disabled iSCSI and started from scratch)
Jeff
ssuper2k
Starting out

Post by ssuper2k »

in my case, I have 2 qnaps connected by iscsi over a 2nd nic crossover cable
and discovered recently that iscsi target is not detected on 2nd nic if subnet mask is not set to /24.

it drove me crazy cause, both qnaps are connected by a 2nd ethernet cable and /30 subnet.
took me hours to figure it out, as it makes no sense to require a /24
zipler
Know my way around

Post by zipler »

I just struggled with this one as well... And yes, I know its an old topic, but still an issue in firmware 4.5.4.1800

The Properties of the iSCSI target and Initiators permission list were grayed out.

While its not ideal if you have things running from the iSCSI targets, all you have to do to be able to edit these pages is Select the iSCSI Target, Click the "Action" drop down and "Disable" the iSCSI target.

Once its disabled both of these tabs under Properties are no longer grayed out.
iSCSI-GrayedOut.jpg

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”