iSCSI connection being dropped from many TVS-471 NASes?

iSCSI related applications
Mr Davo
Starting out

iSCSI connection being dropped from many TVS-471 NASes?

Post by Mr Davo »

Hi All,

I am administering a considerable fleet of QNAP TVS-471 NASes.

In the last week I have seen issues with at least 10 of my fleet dropping iSCSI connections from Windows Sever 2012 R2.

My NASes are running firmware version 4.3.3.0210, and have been doing so since late July / early August (approximately 4 - 6 weeks depending on the exact NAS in question).

Anecdotally it looks like the NASes have started encountering issues after their most recent RAID resyncing activiy.

I am a little concerned that resyncing may have occurred at the same time as a backup from a Server, and that this has caused the iSCSI connection to drop.

Has anybody else experienced iSCSI drops recently?

Any help would be fantastic.

Kind Regards,

Davo
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: iSCSI connection being dropped from many TVS-471 NASes?

Post by storageman »

Why not turn it off/reschedule it?
bapriebe
First post

Post by bapriebe »

I am in the throes of setting up and populating a TS-1635 and see the same issue with iSCSI connections. They never seem to last more than 2 days before Windows Server 2012 loses the connection to the NAS and goes into an infinite "Reconnecting..." status. On the NAS side, it's showing that the server never lost the connection. It won't let you disable the target to try to reset the connection. Hard reboot of NAS appears to be required. This makes the NAS rather useless for the purpose for which it was purchased.

This NAS is using firmware 4.3.3.0299.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Yes a reboot is a bad idea, but what makes you so sure it is a NAS issue?
Have you tried connecting direct to rule out a switch issue?
So Storage Manager, ISCSI Portal Management can't be unticked?
If you ping the NAS ISCSI ports from the server do you see the ports ever dropping prior to the reconnecting issue (you can ping > to a file) ?
Can you connect to the LUN from anyother server when the original server is in reconnecting state (don't write to it)?

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”