How to move iSCSI volume from one Windows server to a new one ?

iSCSI related applications
ProFuZion
First post

How to move iSCSI volume from one Windows server to a new one ?

Post by ProFuZion »

Hi All,
One quick question:

We have a QNAP NAS connected with iSCSI to a file server (W2k8). Only 1 volume with 100% of the RAID5 and 1 iSCSI Target configured
This server will be replaced in few hours by a new one.
How can we move this Windows partition to the new server without data loss ? Do I need to remove the iSCSI initiator on the old server and then create a new initiator on the new server ?
Windows will detect a new partition already formatted or do I need to format it. In 2nd case, I will need to restore all the data ...
Or I'm wrong ? If yes, one of you could please give me a step by step procedure to realize this ?

Thanks a lot for your help,
BR
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: How to move iSCSI volume from one Windows server to a new one ?

Post by storageman »

ProFuZion wrote:Hi All,
One quick question:

We have a QNAP NAS connected with iSCSI to a file server (W2k8). Only 1 volume with 100% of the RAID5 and 1 iSCSI Target configured
This server will be replaced in few hours by a new one.
How can we move this Windows partition to the new server without data loss ? Do I need to remove the iSCSI initiator on the old server and then create a new initiator on the new server ?
Windows will detect a new partition already formatted or do I need to format it. In 2nd case, I will need to restore all the data ...
Or I'm wrong ? If yes, one of you could please give me a step by step procedure to realize this ?

Thanks a lot for your help,
BR
Yes simply disconnect it from old server
New server will detect it formatted.
Do not connect to new server before disconnecting from old server.

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”