iSCSI file creation works but update denied

iSCSI related applications
glatiak
Starting out

iSCSI file creation works but update denied

Post by glatiak »

While I have used iSCSI in commercial environments, I am just starting to use it in my home LAN. Noticed that with my server, a reboot of either the NAS or the host restores the connection, as I would hope.

But if I mount this blockstorage device on a Win 10 pro desktop, I can write out an application backup but any subsequent backups have errors when the next backup attempts to overwrite files that already exist there. When I check ownership it looks like I already have rights... but it fails...

What am I missing... desktop device rights are R/W.

greg latiak
dolbyman
Guru

Re: iSCSI file creation works but update denied

Post by dolbyman »

how many machines (I hope not more than one) are mounting that LUN at the same time ? (or even at different times)
glatiak
Starting out

Re: iSCSI file creation works but update denied

Post by glatiak »

When the LUN volume was created, the option to permit multi-system access was ticked by default. Two machines had it mounted and both had been able to write to the volume successfully. So each had created a root directory block for their outputs. The problem, specifically, is that when I went to update the files in one directory tree I was unable to do so despite walking the tree and looking at ownership and access rights. Concurrent write access to the same directory tree is a whole different problem -- I have written that kind of code commercially (dbms and os internals) and am too lazy in my old age to mess with that again.

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”