Connected Remote iSCSI LUNs Unavailable for Use

iSCSI related applications
DarfNader
Getting the hang of things

Connected Remote iSCSI LUNs Unavailable for Use

Post by DarfNader » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:49 am

I realize this may not be the best channel for this as it seems to all be questions would appear to be about serving LUNs via iSCSI. This question is about mounting remote iSCSI LUNs to create Virtual Disks. I hope that's okay.

Anyway, my problem is after creating Virtual Disks which are mapped to a healthy LUN (iSCSI target is served by a Synology NAS), I do not see those Virtual Disks available for use to use for creating a shared folder as described in the QNAP user manual: [url]https://docs.qna ... l_disk.htm. The documentation advises that when creating a Shared Folder using Control Panel -> Privileges -> Shared Folders -> Create I should see the Virtual Disks appear along with the local Volumes which I do not.
2019-03-24 - QNAP, Create Shared Profile.png
I've also hunted around to see if these Virtual Disks appear anywhere else for use, but it's as if QNAP doesn't acknowledged their presence anywhere except for within Storage Manager -> iSCSI - > Remote Disks where Virtual Disks show as "Ready" and ext4 formatted.
2019-03-24 - QNAP, Remote Disks.png
While the LUNs were formatted ext4 on the Synology NAS, I formatted them again when mapping them for good measure. Is there some additional step that I need to perform to make these available for use for other QNAP storage apps like making a Shared Folder. I should note that the reason for this setup is that I wanted to get the best performance for external storage to create additional shared folders, snapshot volumes, and other backups so that I could have all storage with QNAP as the gatekeeper.

My setup is a QNAP TVS-473 with two pairs of bonded NICs each using balance-alb. One pair is coupled with the primary virtual switch and connected to my LAN while the other pair is coupled with virtual switch that I have designated for storage traffic and physically connected to an isolated switch that is not shared with other LAN traffic. Similarly my Synoptec DS-1813+ has a nearly identical network setup with two bonded NICs on the storage network where it is serving two 10 TB LUNs and no other file service traffic. The LUNs are both thin volumes with CHAP authentication that I have dedicated to be used by the QNAP 1-to-1 only and inaccessible for NFS file sharing, etc... Again, I am able to get QNAP Storage Manager to connect to the Synology-served LUNs by way of its IP address, iSCSI target, and CHAP authentication and can map each LUN to a Virtual Disk. As far as Storage Manager is concerned, the Virtual Disks are healthy. They simply do not appear available for use anywhere.

Any help on how to resolve this of suggest a workaround that offers the same level of performance with the same or better features, please let me know. Thanks!
2019-03-24 - QNAP, Disk Profile.png
2019-03-24 - QNAP, Storage Profile.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Everything I know I've learned from eating the brains of other people." - anon.

TVS-473
• FW v 4.6.3.0883 build 20190316
• 32 GB RAM
• 4 x 6TB SATA , RAID 5
• 2 x 1 TB m2.SSD, RAID 1 (QTier)

storageman
Experience counts

Re: Connected Remote iSCSI LUNs Unavailable for Use

Post by storageman » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:01 pm

When it works you should see them in Shared Folders against the volume names and File Station.

DarfNader
Getting the hang of things

Post by DarfNader » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:36 pm

storageman wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:01 pm
When it works you should see them in Shared Folders against the volume names and File Station.
Yes, that is what the documentation led me to believe as well, but as you can see from the screen clips in my OP, the only volumes that are available when creating a new Shared Folder are the local QNAP volumes. The remote iSCSI LUNs (Virtual Disks) do not appear in the drop-down list at all.

I guess what you're saying is that this is what I should be seeing and if I am not I probably should take it up with QNAP support.
"Everything I know I've learned from eating the brains of other people." - anon.

TVS-473
• FW v 4.6.3.0883 build 20190316
• 32 GB RAM
• 4 x 6TB SATA , RAID 5
• 2 x 1 TB m2.SSD, RAID 1 (QTier)

storageman
Experience counts

Post by storageman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:55 pm

No, that's not what I'm saying
I see two remote LUNs VLUN00 and VLUN01 off the Synology target.
Your Qnap based volumes have different names.
Did you check Shared Folders/File Station?

I think you need to look again.

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”