iSCSI Block based LUN size in Windows only 1 TB?

iSCSI related applications
vanDivX
Starting out

iSCSI Block based LUN size in Windows only 1 TB?

Post by vanDivX »

Hi, I am new to this. I created iSCSI block based LUN 2TB in size but in windows it shows as 1TB size.

I am aware that on NAS, the size will be expanded as I start to fill it with files in windows, I just find it confusing why it doesn't mount as 2TB size but only 1TB.

I wonder if that has to do with creating 1TB LUN a while back, when my LAN was of 192.168.1.x type, which I since changed to 192.168.2.x

After this change, when I came back to play with NAS and tried to mount the storage via iSCSI Initiator in windows, it mounted as 1TB which is what I had made then but the Initiator was showing some quirky behavior and finally I realized the iSCSI Target was the old one with the previous subnet IP, now invalid. Still the disk mounted OK and appeared ready to be used. I deleted the Target and the 1TB block based volume and created new target and new volume, this time 2TB. But in windows it shows mounted as 0.99TB size... Maybe I will be able to fill it with 2TB data anyway? Or not? I did reboot NAS as well as the PC after redoing the target and making new LUN size.

I need to image a hdd that has 1.7 TB of data on it and created this 2 TB LUN on NAS to write the disk image on it to back it up while I reformat the PC disks and reinstall windows.

Alternatively I can make second 1TB LUN but I suspect, you can only connect one to windows, right? Maybe if I made it file based, it would mount alongside the iSCSI volume?
TVS-682 | 1x 8TB Seagate IW
vanDivX
Starting out

Re: iSCSI Block based LUN size in Windows only 1 TB?

Post by vanDivX »

I made the file base LUN and since it didn't show up in windows, that made me look in Disk Management where I found even the iSCSI LUNs and the one showing as 1 TB has 1 TB un-allocated...

Don't understand why 1 TB got allocated automatically, why not the entire 2 TB?

The second 2 TB LUN wasn't formatted at all, neither was the file based 1 TB one. I don't get the arbitrary rules applied here.

At least I can go ahead with the task at hand.

BTW I have a follow up question - the files that I put on the LUN are not visible (accessible) on NAS, like in its native File Station? That is, they are only accessible from windows?
TVS-682 | 1x 8TB Seagate IW

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”