How can I change iSCSI links if the connection is lost but the data is still on the NAS/QNAP storage system?

iSCSI related applications
TechD123
New here

How can I change iSCSI links if the connection is lost but the data is still on the NAS/QNAP storage system?

Post by TechD123 »

We're having a problem with our NAS system. The iSCSI links are failing to connect (shown as "reconnecting"). We'd like to change the iSCSI links, but the data is still on the QNAP/NAS storage. I've attached a picture of the iSCSI Initiator Properties window to make this more clear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Techthusiast
Starting out

Re: How can I change iSCSI links if the connection is lost but the data is still on the NAS/QNAP storage system?

Post by Techthusiast »

Hello,

If I am understanding correctly, your concern is as to whether or not you risk losing data stored on your iSCSI LUN if/when you try to modify or update any given iSCSI "Discovered Target" as shown in the Microsoft iSCSI Initiator.

In summary, changes within the "Microsoft iSCSI Initiator" will not cause you to lose data stored in your iSCSI LUN.

Please allow me to explain:
  • The "Microsoft iSCSI Initiator" essentially acts as a log-on utility somewhat similarly as do common Password Managers.
  • "Microsoft iSCSI Initiator" primarily functions to remember the path(s) to what you're logging-on to and to remember the necessary credentials (i.e. CHAP name and password) that you have provided to it.
  • Modifying or deleting your configuration/credentials within the "Microsoft iSCSI Initiator" only affects the "shortcut" to your iSCSI LUN (and its data), but does not affect the iSCSI LUN itself (nor its data).
For quick reference:
How to create and use the iSCSI target service on a QNAP NAS

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Techthusiast
TechD123
New here

Re: How can I change iSCSI links if the connection is lost but the data is still on the NAS/QNAP storage system?

Post by TechD123 »

Thank you, we were able to fix the problem. :)

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”