Lost iSCSI Connectivity after FW Update

iSCSI related applications
BogBeast
New here

Lost iSCSI Connectivity after FW Update

Post by BogBeast »

I have had 2 ESXi 7.1 hosts accessing a shared lun on a QuTS Hero TS-h973AX for the last few months. No issue.

FW auto-updated early this AM to h4.5.2.1638 and I have now lost iScsi connectivity.

Storage Networking is fine, I can ping the NAS from the ESXi hosts but I can't discover dynamically or statically from either ESXi host. There is no CHAP auth, its very basic.

ISCSI services are bound to the correct network cards, it just looks like the QNAP is not responding to discovery from the hosts, but I cant see anything in the way to cause an issue. Almost like there's some sort of filtering firewall.

Any offer any ideas ?
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Lost iSCSI Connectivity after FW Update

Post by Trexx »

Not sure if cause, but just configure the vhba64 with a static path to your iscsi address on the Qnap should resolve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
BogBeast
New here

Re: Lost iSCSI Connectivity after FW Update

Post by BogBeast »

Thanks for the reply.

I was not having an issue with routing, all my iSCSI addresses are in the same range.

I was using a virtual switch in the NAS and configuring the NAS network ports as part of that. Effectively having the one iSCSI target for both servers

I took that out and configured the port with their own IP ranges. One of the ESX servers immediately discovered the target and mounted datastore on the NAS storage, the 2nd discovered the storage but would not mount. I had to delete the vkernal port and re-create, once I did that, it worked.

I have not gone back to the virtual switch, but it looks like that was the issue. It looks like there was some change in the virtual switch functionality, just in case someone else has a similar issue..

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”