QNAP Deleted a ISCSI LUN Itself

iSCSI related applications
clementk
New here

QNAP Deleted a ISCSI LUN Itself

Post by clementk »

Hi,

While deleting unmapped, disabled ISCSI LUN, (which is the only way QNAP will allow you to delete a ISCSI LUN, it has to be Disabled, Unmapped and sitting in the Unmapped section) the QNAP OS deleted also, without warning, an active ISCSI LUN, which was mapped to a ISCSI target, it simply deleted it, impacting a very important datastore on my vmware environment, and now, logged with support, they have no answer, stating it is with Storage Support and they have yet to get back to me, its has been 3 days, QNAP support is truly poor and the OS itself is untrustworthy, it deleted an active LUN, it was unbelievable. I am still waiting their response, with so much loss.

Is there anyone that can help? As I have limited trust in QNAP and their support. How can QNAP do that, delete an active LUN, I have provided all the logs, dumps that clearly shows the ISCSI LUN active and attached to a active host
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: QNAP Deleted a ISCSI LUN Itself

Post by FSC830 »

Which NAS?
Which firmware (please exact version - not "latest"!)?

If the LUN is really destroyed, then the data is lost! Create a new LUN, map it and restore data from latest backup to minimize loss.
No or outdated backup? Then data was not important!

A raid is never a substitute for a backup as you learned the painful way. :'

Regards
trinityanderson
Starting out

Post by trinityanderson »

I'm really sorry you're facing this issue. I also have been waiting on QNAP support for almost a week with one answer in between asking me to do something I'd already specified. Unfortunately this has led me to rethink our storage strategy, even for our backups. We were leveraging the "enterprise" equipment for both production and backup. Recently had issues with production that remain unresolved and though we've got some data back from backup, the process has been slow and tedious.

Short story, we're looking at Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc. to move away from QNAP as their support has left us wanting. The system has been solid for months, and at least a year since we migrated, however being unable to resolve issues due to lack of support is a deal breaker.

Your active LUN should not have been deleted as you followed the proper steps. I suspect either the qnap code caused the issue or there is some corruption that occured with the LUN and it is now masked or gone.

Have you tried going into the NAS' shell to do some troubleshooting? If you're familiar with linux you may be able to dig into this and sort things while you wait - that's waht I'm attempting to do. At this point, I'm getting temporary storage to try and export my LUN to another system (not QNAP).
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you can always check with e.g. WinSCP, if the LUN target is still there

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=165764&hilit=target#p814793
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

clementk wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:15 pm Is there anyone that can help? As I have limited trust in QNAP and their support. How can QNAP do that, delete an active LUN, I have provided all the logs, dumps that clearly shows the ISCSI LUN active and attached to a active host
Please stop posting duplicates of your issue. Doing-so is not permitted on this forum. I've remove the others.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
clementk
New here

Post by clementk »

Hi OneCD,

Utmost apologies for the duplicate posts, I am new to posting on this forum so after submission I did not see my post on the User's Corner Topic Board, hopeful to get support from this forum, thank you.

Kindest Regards
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

clementk wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:16 am ... I am new to posting on this forum so after submission I did not see my post on the User's Corner Topic Board, hopeful to get support from this forum, thank you.
You'll get just as much support here as there. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
clementk
New here

Post by clementk »

Hi FSC830

Thank you for your kind response

Model: TS-1683XU-RP
Firmware: 4.3.6.0093
4 Port NIC Team, Balance-ALB
Disk Configuration: RAID5
Disk: Seagate

Data was important, and backup is available, but this post was to highlight that QNAP OS deleted an active mapped LUN, without being directed to, deletion command was actioned on a unmapped inactive LUN, and QNAP OS deleted a active LUN. That is the primary issue, that QNAP OS deletes critical data at will without instructions and action.
clementk
New here

Post by clementk »

Hi trinityanderson

Thank you for your kind response, it is highly appreciated.

We had little to no issues with our deployment of QNAP also, and we've had it for some time, but such an action executed by QNAP and the lack of support has truly been heartbreaking considering our restore from backup process means additional work over a QNAP action.

Quote: "we're looking at Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc. to move away from QNAP as their support has left us wanting"

Unfortunately our office is limited to this NAS so recovery on the same storage at present is being actioned....

Quote: "LUN and it is now masked or gone"

Because the deletion command (from the Web GUI) was not actioned on the active LUN I am hopeful as well that the LUN is masked, as suggested, I have been doing my own research and digging through the LINUX os to is if I can find something that will have some positive news.

Thank you for your support, please do keep an eye on this post and if there is any information on it please share it, I am seeking far and wide for solutions. :)
clementk
New here

Post by clementk »

The above is the response was received from QNAP.

"Hi Clement,

After the internal check, this iSCSI LUN delete issue fixed in QTS 4.4.3 20201110 version of firmware, but we didn't release QTS 4.4.3 20201110 this version of firmware in QNAP download center, therefore, the firmware release notes didn't list this iSCSI LUN delete issue, but it already fix in QTS 4.5.1.1495 Build 20201123 & later.

Please update this NAS firmware from 4.3.6 to 4.4.1.1216 build 20200214 > 4.5.4.1892 build 20211223 > 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324.

Release Notes
https://www.qnap.com/en/release-notes/q ... 6/20220324

Thank you."

My Response:

"Hi Tim,

So what you are stating, the ISCSI LUN Delete issue was fixed in QTS 4.4.3 20201110 but was never released to the download center, so how exactly are your customers going to upgrade if the firmware was not made available to them.

And the link you sent, in that release notes there is absolutely no mention of ISCSI LUN Deletion issue."

I will need a better answer and solution for this please.

Thank you."

Can anyone point to the release notes where it clearly states "ISCSI Deletion" bug was fixed in a specific firmware release. I call Bull on the above response received from QNAP
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Unfortunately its a common procedure at QNAP that firmware releases and release notes disappear from now to then :S .
Often this is justified with outdated versions, fixed issues and "to secure customers from any issue".
But in my oppinion a very bad procedure. Sometimes an old version is still needed. And in a secure environment (i.e. secured datacenter with firewalls and no access to internet) there is no need for running at latest version.
And that release notes are disappear is also annoying, because you cant look up for fixed/open issues in specific versions.

And that is, why I do not recommend using a QNAP in any business environment. Even for an extended power user its often very annoying when an firmware/app update "kills" a feature or makes it unusuable (more than once happened with Virtuliazation Station), in an business environment a show-stopper and no-go!

Also I do not know any others from the "big" companies doing such weird things.
You can download (sometimes several) years old firmware images at most "big" vendors support sites, why not at QNAP?

They should mark them in big red letters as outdated, without support, whatever...but they should ***not*** remove them. At least this versions which have been available for weeks or months.

But its useless to claim and blame QNAP, they are not interested in satisfied customers, sold devices is the only thing which counts. You can see that how strictly they ignore a bare metal backup for the NAS which is requested for more than a decade.

Regards

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”