iSCSI target lost after disk full warning

iSCSI related applications
AvN
New here

iSCSI target lost after disk full warning

Post by AvN »

At home I use an iSCSI target on my TS-509 (firmware 2.1.6 Build 0428T) as a VMware ESXi datastore for testing purposes.
The iSCSI target was set up to 1 TB and 50% used.
Using VMware Converter I was copying a VM to the iSCSI datastore.
At some point there was a failure and I received an e-mail from the NAS that the disk was full.
VMware reported that there was no datastore.

I moved some (no iSCSI) data from the NAS to another storage device.
When I log in to the webportal there is no iSCSI target, but a "turning" indication that it is updating.
I tried to restart the NAS from the webportal.
At the display is a "System rebooting, please wait" message. The system does not reboot, the "System up time" is not reset.
CPU usage is 100%
The shares, webportal and telnet can be reached normally.

How can I solve this problem and get back access to the iSCSI target?
tseinc
New here

Re: iSCSI target lost after disk full warning

Post by tseinc »

I'm having this same problem, and considering that there is a good amount of data on the iSCSI target that is missing, I'm afraid to do too much until I know if the data is safe or not.

Will someone please help!
AvN
New here

Post by AvN »

I finally had no other choice than to force the unit to power off by press and hold the power button.
After restart the iSCSI target got back on line.
Of course I cannot guarantee that this will work in another situation.
Therefore I would ask QNAP to improve firmware so this cannot happen again.
tseinc
New here

Post by tseinc »

:x I ended up doing the same thing. Once I got access to the drive, I freed up about half the space. Problem is, the QNAP still thought there was a disk space issue. I updated the firmware, scanned the disk, but no matter what I do, even though half the disk is physically available, the QNAP insists the drive is almost full. The server accessing the iSCSI drive knows there is more room available on the disk, but the QNAP keeps beeping with the alert.

If anyone from QNAP is out there listening, how come the unit can't measure accurately the free space on the drive after a 'disk nearly full' warning? Not only that, but the unit is behaving worse after the firmware update to 3.1.1 than it did before, on firmware 2.0.4

I'm glad we aren't using this unit for primary shared storage, because we'd really be in a world of hurt. I'm considering returning this unit (TS-809 pro). Can anyone out there help?
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hello,
Please refer to this reply:
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=20286

We're now working on solving the iSCSI target issue that causes 100% resource usage. It'll be fixed in the new firmware.

Jason

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”