Cannot connect previously mounted lun to esx4i

iSCSI related applications
w8er
New here

Cannot connect previously mounted lun to esx4i

Post by w8er »

Hi There,

somehow I cannot connect a previously mounted lun to the esx4i server.

what did i do ?
I upgraded the QNAP439u to the latest beta.3.2.0 Build 1107T

Why did i do it ?
Because I have connected another lun with iscsi to a win2003 server with a SAP SQL database on it which got read failures with heavy transactions. after the upgrade the database runs fine but still slow.

what else ?
new luns that i create can be seen by the esx4i server. the missing lun can be seen as well in the storage adapters properties and it says connected in the qnap menu. But i cannot mount it because it is not seen in the main windows of the storage adapters. hope this is not too missleading.
I also upgraded the esx4i to update 1 without success.

can anyone help me out ?

thanks
david
w8er
New here

Re: Cannot connect previously mounted lun to esx4i

Post by w8er »

one more thing. what is the meaning of the iscsi target list "status" = processing ?

thanks
david
QNAPDavid
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPDavid »

Hi David:
1. Do you mean the LUNs were created in firmware 3.1.2 cannot be seen in the ESX4i after updgte to firmware 3.2.0 beta? If so, please try to restart the iSCSI service and see if it works in ESX4i. If it still doesn't work, pls leave a message in the thread.
2."Processing" means the iSCSI LUN is still creating.

Cheers.

David Tsao
QNAP David Tsao
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

QNAPDavid wrote:2."Processing" means the iSCSI LUN is still creating.
(QNAP)David, Isn't this a known issue when upgrading from 3.1.x created iSCSI units to 3.2.0 1107? All our targets stayed on "Processeing" virtually forever, with no obvious resource-taking activities. Finally, we had to drop and recreate the units.

Check this thread, including your comments: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... Processing

-Kurt.
w8er
New here

Post by w8er »

Hi Kurt,

thanks for the info. The post you attached describes my problem pretty well.

After one week the luns are still in processing and the lun which i connected to the esx4i server ist sill unmountable. i cannot drop this lun as it holds unsaved data.

@QNAP David:
Yes the luns were created with firmware 3.1.2. and cannot be seen with firmware 3.2.0 beta.
After i stopped and started the iscsi service the lun is still unavailable in the esx4i server.

On the esx server i can see the targets BUT unfortunately not the luns.
on the other hand the windows 2008 server is able to connect to the lun ....

I hope that we get another update rather quick.

many thanks
david
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
w8er
New here

Post by w8er »

Hi QNAP David,

I wanted to ask you if there is a solution in sight for my problem ? My VMs are still down. The Luns are still in processing mode.

Can I do a degrade of the firmware to get the system back to normal ? I do not want to loose the data on the iscsi disk.

Appreciate any help thanks
David
QNAPDavid
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPDavid »

w8er wrote:Hi QNAP David,

I wanted to ask you if there is a solution in sight for my problem ? My VMs are still down. The Luns are still in processing mode.

Can I do a degrade of the firmware to get the system back to normal ? I do not want to loose the data on the iscsi disk.

Appreciate any help thanks
David
Hi David:
We just released 3.2.0 official firmware. Would you please try to update your firmware to the version? Please let me know if you still have the same issue after upgrading.
Cheers,

David Tsao
QNAP David Tsao
bendelongis
New here

Post by bendelongis »

This sounds very similiar to the problem I'm experiencing. http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23696

I am able to connect to the LUNs using the Windows iSCSI Initiator but cannot connect using a linux (gPXE) connection.

Does anyone have a fix for this as upgrading to firmware 3.2.0 id not fix the problem?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

bendelongis wrote:This sounds very similiar to the problem I'm experiencing. http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23696
If your LUNs are not in "Processing" mode (virtually forever) this is certainly not the same issue. Your initiator won't be able to connect at all.

-Kurt.

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”