ISCSI and Multi Connects

iSCSI related applications
woodywoo
First post

ISCSI and Multi Connects

Post by woodywoo »

Hi hope somene can help, I have a TS439 Pro II and am using iscsi as a windows target, I can get 1 machine to see the LUn but when I connect another machine ising the Ms iscsi iniater it shows the lun but its empty.

I have a small access database that i want to share between two machines, this works under NAS but is slow and ISCSI speeds up the access but does it have limitations to just a single connection.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Don
Guru

Re: ISCSI and Multi Connects

Post by Don »

Accessing the same target from more than one PC at a time will corrupt the file system and data. Since each PC thinks it owns the file system it does not know there is another machine accessing it. There is no way to coordinate the access. Remember the iSCSI target appears as a local drive to the PC.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
rinthos
Been there, done that

Re: ISCSI and Multi Connects

Post by rinthos »

iSCSI, being SCSI, uses 'reservations'. The LUN is reserved.
This is by design of SCSI.

For what you're looking for, either use another protocol (such as a CIFS share), or setup your systems as a Cluster and you can move the resource back and forth. Keep in mind we're talking Windows 2k3/2k8 server clusters, which is wayyy beyond simple workstation data sharing.
---

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”