Got the disconnection issue on a brand new device!

iSCSI related applications
Veewan
New here

Got the disconnection issue on a brand new device!

Post by Veewan »

Well just installed a brand new TS-459Pro. Literally took it out of the packaging four hours ago, installed three brand new disks in RAID5 and upgraded the firmware to the latest release.

Created a test target & LUN of only 10GB, then connected to it from a Server 2008 R2 box (with all updates applied). Tried copying a single 3GB file to it, which worked, then tried deleting it and it disconnected and wouldn't reconnect.

I then connected to the same LUN from a Windows 7 Pro x64 machine and tried copying some data and sure enough, I got another disconnection, although this time it reconnected fairly quickly.

What the hell? I bought this as a reliable storage solution for some new VM deployments but, judging by the number of people having this problem, there's something majorly wrong with it. Can someone please help me? If I can't resolve this issue quickly then it's going to have to go back :(
rinthos
Been there, done that

Re: Got the disconnection issue on a brand new device!

Post by rinthos »

Veewan,

There have been several posts about this (as you've noted). I can say I've had problems in the past but am in a stable iSCSI state now.

Did QNAP Support have any findings for your issues?
---
Veewan
New here

Post by Veewan »

I've not contacted support directly yet, only posted here.

Going back into the office this afternoon and will try some of the suggestions that have already been posted on here first. If these don't cure the problem then I'll be on to support directly.
Veewan
New here

Post by Veewan »

Ok well I've been fiddling for a few hours and have done two things. Firstly I've put the 2008R2 server and the QNAP on their own dedicated network via a 3Com switch with nothing else attached. Secondly I removed the CHAP authentication on the iSCSI target on the QNAP box.

I've been testing it out for a while now and so far I've had no disconnects so, fingers crossed, the problem has gone. Whether it's due to one or t'other of the above changes I'm not sure.

Going to leave IOMeter thrashing it for a day or two and check on Monday to see if it's fallen over again at any point and will report back.
PiroNet
Easy as a breeze

Post by PiroNet »

Veewan wrote:Ok well I've been fiddling for a few hours and have done two things. Firstly I've put the 2008R2 server and the QNAP on their own dedicated network via a 3Com switch with nothing else attached. Secondly I removed the CHAP authentication on the iSCSI target on the QNAP box.

I've been testing it out for a while now and so far I've had no disconnects so, fingers crossed, the problem has gone. Whether it's due to one or t'other of the above changes I'm not sure.

Going to leave IOMeter thrashing it for a day or two and check on Monday to see if it's fallen over again at any point and will report back.
Usually I avoid using disk encryptions and/or iSCSI authentication/encryption on entry/midrange QNAP devices (ARM/ATOM proc), it uses a lot of CPU cycles, it is subject to many disconnection problems.
Unless security and data encryption is mandatory for you, stay away from that ;)
Veewan
New here

Post by Veewan »

PiroNet wrote:Unless security and data encryption is mandatory for you, stay away from that ;)
Yeah I think I will, provided I can keep the iSCSI on a totally isolated network.

As I don't seem to be able to restrict iSCSI operation to a specific network interface, I've currently got the QNAP connected solely to a physically separate SAN network with its own switch, to which any client machines which require SAN services are also connected, via a dedicated NIC. These clients are also connected to the main LAN network via a separate NIC.

This ensures that the QNAP can only be accessed via the SAN network and also keeps all iSCSI traffic on its own network. The only slight downside is that I can only get at the QNAP for configuration/monitoring via the SAN network and thus only on a SAN client machine, but this isn't too big a problem.
PiroNet
Easy as a breeze

Post by PiroNet »

Veewan wrote:I've currently got the QNAP connected solely to a physically separate SAN network with its own switch, to which any client machines which require SAN services are also connected, via a dedicated NIC. These clients are also connected to the main LAN network via a separate NIC.
This is one of the best solutions IMO.

For those who cannot afford multiple switches, VLAN tagging should be considered here.

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”