Tvs-682 Upgrade

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Cbrad01
Starting out

Re: Tvs-682 Upgrade

Postby Cbrad01 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:58 pm

Update
Now having heat problems with the m2 drives. It appears that the CPU is kept cool enough that the fan on it does not pull enough air through to cool the m2 drives under load.
Have had to set the CPU fan to manual and adjust the RPM to keep the m2 drives cool.

jasonelmore
New here

Postby jasonelmore » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:32 am

You went a little overkill on the m.2 caching ssd's man. A couple 64gb drives would have gave the same performance in almost all use cases. Plus way less heaf

travellingkiwi
New here

Postby travellingkiwi » Sun May 21, 2017 8:45 pm

The note on the TVS-682 spec sheet...

> M.2 SSD operations can easily generate excessive heat. It is recommended to install a heatsink (from QNAP or a third-party provider) on the M.2 SSD.

mrcasmir
New here

Postby mrcasmir » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:34 pm

If you are concerned about the heat or if you are having issues with heat after upgrade to core i7 especially the K version.
Swap the heat-sink and the cooler with Noctua NH-L9x65 http://noctua.at/en/nh-l9x65
Its a full CPU cooler with slim fan. It does not interfere with the casing at all.
The good thing about this is that you can us it with the factory installed fan and install your heat sink so the stock fan blows air through the grills as well.
To install this cooler, you will need to remove the chassis screw that holds the stock heat-sink because this one comes with its own bracket which cannot fit into the stock slot.
It comes with a splitter so you can still connect the two fans to thesame socket and the system can throttle both as CPU 1 fan as required.
At 75% load, my worst temp was ~52C.
I also bought 2 Noctua fans (same as on this cooler) to keep my Sata SSDs and HDD cool. Worst temp recorded was ~42C on the SSDs (2x2tb Crucial MX300) and ~40C on the HDD (4x10tb consists of 2 WD Gold, 1 Skyhalk & 1 Ironwolf Pro)
I live in Australia and the ambient temp is usually ~24C and its winter here currently

michelk
New here

Postby michelk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Dear all,

I'm considering buying the TVS-682 (i3-6100) NAS.

Can anyone confirm that i can put the following processor in the TVS-682 (I7-6700T).
I read on the forum that some of you were able to upgrade the Pentium G4400 to a I7-6700T.
But now where i can find the confirmation that upgrading the I3 to an I7 will work.

I assume that this is possible because the socket is the same.

Mulders84
New here

Postby Mulders84 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:13 pm

mrcasmir wrote:If you are concerned about the heat or if you are having issues with heat after upgrade to core i7 especially the K version.
Swap the heat-sink and the cooler with Noctua NH-L9x65 http://noctua.at/en/nh-l9x65
Its a full CPU cooler with slim fan. It does not interfere with the casing at all.
The good thing about this is that you can us it with the factory installed fan and install your heat sink so the stock fan blows air through the grills as well.
To install this cooler, you will need to remove the chassis screw that holds the stock heat-sink because this one comes with its own bracket which cannot fit into the stock slot.
It comes with a splitter so you can still connect the two fans to thesame socket and the system can throttle both as CPU 1 fan as required.
At 75% load, my worst temp was ~52C.
I also bought 2 Noctua fans (same as on this cooler) to keep my Sata SSDs and HDD cool. Worst temp recorded was ~42C on the SSDs (2x2tb Crucial MX300) and ~40C on the HDD (4x10tb consists of 2 WD Gold, 1 Skyhalk & 1 Ironwolf Pro)
I live in Australia and the ambient temp is usually ~24C and its winter here currently

Could you post or send me some pictures of youre build. what kind of CPU did you use?
Im thinking about upgrading to the i7 6700k i found a guide and pictures from vassoura https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=120720&p=601299&hilit=vassoura#p601097 he used the Nh-L12 as i understood. i read up on the post afterwards and it is a nice build but he had to leave some parts out and it was a tight fit. :?
according to youre post you dont need to :shock: . that got me smiling. :)

So could you post or send some pictures on youre build. how it fits and what fans(size and all) you used for youre build?

my setup is 3x WDRed 6 tb, 2x ssd 500 gb and 2x m2.sata 250 gb caching with cool blocks.
any thoughts about if my setup wil run with 6700k and (youre) cooler upgrade? :roll:

thnx in advance. :wink:

(I ordered the 20 pin adapter just incase i have to do a early upgrade of the Power supply with the 6700K upgrade. and i want to upgrade with a GPU in the future anyway.)

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”