TVS-682 not outputting 4k@60Hz

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
pisymbol
Getting the hang of things

Re: TVS-682 not outputting 4k@60Hz

Post by pisymbol »

I've asked support. Waiting to hear back an official answer. This is so strange.
cdcllcga
New here

Post by cdcllcga »

Thanks 3.14285714285714!
pisymbol
Getting the hang of things

Post by pisymbol »

It's going to be months before 4k@60Hz is truly supported, if at all.

What a mess...

To this day, I'm still surprised no one in engineering didn't actually test this unit with a couple of 4k TVs to make sure 60Hz really works before advertising that it does. I can tell you the support team does not even have access to a 4k TV to try. Awesome.

All the marketing literature has been changed because the i915 driver does not support 60Hz in component video mode only RGB. Intel AFAIK has not committed to support 4k@60Hz in component video mode at this time. What this means is that depending on your TV, you may or may not get 4k@60Hz. And even if you do, it's in RGB mode.

On a personal note: The HDMI 2.0 port just stopped working and I had to RMA it. They replaced the motherboard and when it arrived back to me, the backplane on my unit failed (ports HDD2 and 3 were DOA), so I had to ship it back again. I haven't had a working unit for about two months now.

I'm at my wits end. This was my first QNAP purchase too.
kalantan
Starting out

Post by kalantan »

I am setting up a new QNAP TVS-682T this week for direct to TV 4K playback. I had a TS-453B at first that would play 4K, but it stuttered and juddered on large files. Will report back if I get a successful 4K @ 60Hz signal going.
~ kalantan ~
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

instead of pumping that money into larger NAS, just get a capable playback device and stream
kalantan
Starting out

Post by kalantan »

Just an update for the interested: I got my QNAP TVS-682T to play 4K files directly to my 4K TV via HDMI successfully with Plex Media Player. Haven't tried Kodi yet. I just have some resolution issues. When I switch to 3480 x 2150p, the Sony doesn't seem to like it and blanks out periodically. I will have to toy with the HDMI out settings in PMP. If that and Kodi don't cut it, looks like @dolbyman is correct and I'll have to get a 4K Roku, or wait for the new ATV 5 with 4K support. The QNAP is an amazing Plex server, however and it will be very useful serving to multiple devices and when I'm out of town. Just frustrating to be so close to getting to play direct 4K...
~ kalantan ~

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”